What brand of pruning shears do you like?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by daisybeans, May 24, 2011.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hello Everyone,
    I don't know if I'm just hard on pruning shears or what, but it looks like I may be in the market again soon.

I'd like a pair of heavy duty ratcheted type pruners with easy to replace blades and easy to find replacement blades... that won't break the bank.

What brands do you all like? Or if you're like me and can't remember the brand, where did you buy yours?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Tina
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. marlingardener
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Daisy,
    I can't remember the brand, but I got mine two years ago at Ace Hardware. They are just as you described, except I don't know about replacement blades. I've sharpened ours and don't need to replace the blades. They are easy on the hands, too.
    I hope you find pruners that you like. There is nothing so frustrating as working with poor pruners or ones that are dull.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Spear & Jackson W203 Razorsharp Ratchet Anvil Pruners with Rotating Handle. Simply THE best in my opinion. :-D

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have had my FELCO pruners since 1987 and they have never broken nor have I changed the blade, (although I do have a spare one if I need it) I do use a honer on it if neccesary.
    Bahco is the other brand I have heard is an excellent brand also.
    Neither are a cheap pair. Maybe around $50.00, if you shop around. The quality is exceptional.

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I struggle too MaryAnn :-? Maybe I'm too cheap. I have a pair of Fiskar's that I bought a year or 2 ago and I really like them. However, they aren't for anything bigger than a toothpick :rolleyes: They do great deadheading and for minor clean up. For some reason I see a dead stick and think I'm a lumberjack and go after it with my hand clippers ;) I need to carry a small chainsaw with me :D

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You might want to invest in a pair of loppers for your bigger cutting needs, Always remember, NEVER PRY with your pruners. This motion will ruin your clippers in no time flat. I saw my son twisting the loppers the last time he helped me, I jumped to help him remove them and recut the branch he was working on. I didn't want to replace my loppers.
    Fiskars makes a ratcheting pair that work great. Don't buy the Coronas, or any brand, that has extendable handles. Unless of course you are 7' tall. You will never be able to open them far enough to cut the branch,you don't have any leverage to work with, either, once they are open all the way. :(

8. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

The pruner I have now is only about 2 years old and it just feels loose to me. It wasn't inexpensive either. Frustrating.

Thanks for the brands. I'm going to look into Spear and Jackson and Felco and I'll stay away from Corona. The Felco brand I've seen online (Corona too). Our Ace Hardware does have a nice selection, though I have not seen the ratcheting type there and I definately need those because I don't have "a small chainsaw" either. I've got pruners, ratcheting a regular, that I like very much but I don't know what brand they are either. Carolyn, you are totally right about the extending handles -- not useful...

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

FYI
    I just remembered, FELCO also makes a pruner for lefties. I had to buy a pair for my son, and since he was willing to help me, I was willing to get him the "right" tool.
    They are the only ones I have found for left handed people. There may be another company making them , but if so, I haven't noticed it.

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Felcos, hands down... Simply the best for me with all the use I give them. They are sturdy, tough and stay sharp. The key is keeping them clean and oiled.

11. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

More votes for Felco.... thanks for all this input.

12. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have a pair of cheapies from the dollar store, but I want to get a better pair when I can. I don't care whose name is on them as long as they are sturdy and easy to use. I have RA in my hands and not much strength. The cheapies are okay for lightweight jobs.

I have an old pair of clippers that were my mom's, no idea of who made them. I could use a long handled loppers that reaches high up in trees... Or else a 7' tall bf ? Not really, but I cant reach anyplace high up.

13. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

AA -- the ones I have are ratcheting. I don't quite know how to explain it toolwise, maybe someone else could do it better, but basically, they hold the branch and cut it in small increments so you can cut bigger branches with smaller movements. It doesn't take much strength at all. They have been a Godsend for me because I'm not particularly strong in the hands either. Whenever you get around to buying new ones, I'd definately recommend a ratcheting pair. I have ratcheting loppers too... Great invention for us!

Seven foot BF! Funny! I can relate too. :)

14. jb19012

jb19012 New Seed

FELCO #2 for Me

I cut 1 inch Viburnum stalks. Have had them for at least 18 years. Just need a slight bit of sharpening and oil every now and then. Outstanding value.

I have an old pair of Sears anvils (my mom's), but I can never remember when to use anvil versus scissor. I know it matters. If there is a good rule of thumb, please share.

Best to all.

15. Elvis

Elvis New Seed

I did use the Dynacut ratcheting pruning shears and could cut flowers or fruit stems, tree branches, or shrubs with effortless trimming.