What can I do with these 90's tiles?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by CurrentlyAlive, Apr 7, 2014.

1. CurrentlyAlive

CurrentlyAlive New Seed

I am purchasing a home built in 1991, and it has some really out of style tile in the kitchen, dining room, and leading to the front door. At first, I was planning on removing it completely and putting in laminate or bamboo. I have now found that the tile goes under the kitchen cabinets. Because of this, I don't think I can remove it. What can I do to make this space look awesome? Can I put a new floor on top of it? Will this cause problems with the doors or anything else? I know I would at least have to raise the level of the floor in the living room to be flush with the tile.
    Alternately, do you think I could choose wall colors and carpet that would make this area look classy while keeping the original tile? I really, really don't want it to look tacky, but I'm not sure my skills or budget will allow a complete removal of the tile. The tile is actually in really great condition, and if it weren't for those green diamonds, I would be more than happy to leave it, and just get new carpets. If I can clean this place up, it will be really nice for my family, but I could use some design help.

Thank you in advance!

[​IMG]
    dining room ( photo / image / picture from CurrentlyAlive's Garden )

[​IMG]
    kitchen ( photo / image / picture from CurrentlyAlive's Garden )

[​IMG]
    living room ( photo / image / picture from CurrentlyAlive's Garden )

[/img]

2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Welcome to the Stew CurrentlyAlive. Congratulations on your new home. I would live with the tile for at least a year before deciding. From experience I have found living with something major gives you time to really get a feel for what you want. Painting and removing the wallpaper border will update the rooms cheap and fast. Putting in updated light fixtures is also an easy fix that shouldn't break the budget. I'd do the quick and easy fixes first and live with the tile for a while, but that is just me.

Frank and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. CurrentlyAlive

CurrentlyAlive New Seed

Thanks for the thought. That may be a good point. The only reason that I'm thinking of doing it first is that the carpets REALLY need to be replaced immediately. If I were to rip up the tile, I'd redo the whole main floor in laminate or bamboo, but if I leave it, I'll need to replace the carpets. I really don't want to do both... Hmmm... It's kinda maddening! If I were to just leave it, do you have any thoughts of how I can make it look good?

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Honestly, there is so much "light" going on that maybe a darker wall/s would help. That is almost glaring. I agree, live with it for a while before making any major decisions. keep looking at magazines and "do it your self" adds for what is available, too.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

I personally kind of like your tile. No weird patterns and neutral. It is indestructible and your pattern is pretty classic. The right color of flooring whether laminate or bamboo in the carpeted areas could minimize the tile. Having a unified flooring is nice, but redoing it all sounds like a kitchen remodel also. Had you thought of maybe only pulling up the tile in the livingroom run? And only re-flooring the livingroom area?

I personally love area rugs. If you are set on removing the carpets (I can really understand why..they hold sooo much filth and can't be cleaned like area rugs) and having a unified flooring put down in both rooms you might consider having it done professionally. Ripping out tile could uncover unknown problems and best left to a company with experience so every thing is level if you are doing a large area. Get references and make sure they are licensed if you go this route.

Whatever you decide you will have to post before and after photos. I am sure it will be fantastic.

7. CurrentlyAlive

CurrentlyAlive New Seed

Thanks for the ideas! I am still waffling, but I still won't have the house for several weeks. If I were to keep the tile, do any of you have color/texture suggestions for the walls and carpets to make it look as good as possible in there?

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

CA--I agree with others about living with the tile for a bit before making a decision. I also agree with Carolyn about so much "light" going on in there. My eyes are itching for some color. For example, in the kitchen, if you were to pick up the diamond color of the tile on the kitchen counters, that might help the natural woodwork of the cabinets to stand out. Maybe costly though.

Painting out the stenciling would help up date the décor too. I would go with one or more walls of color, to give a punch to the rooms. Right now it kind of looks like 101 shades of white/off white.

9. CurrentlyAlive

CurrentlyAlive New Seed

Can anyone post inspiring pics that may help?

10. Jewell

I would suggest looking in Pinterest. Do a search with "tile floor, color wall". You should find a lot of ideas. I would keep to the color family of the main part of your tiles, maybe a shade darker. If you use accents in the color family of the small tiles with some contrasting colors (pops of orange, red or even purple). Things should really pop. You could also go with a single tone creating a more calming effect. Lots of decisions to make depending on your taste.