What can I grow in Kuwait

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by butterflies birds blooms, Feb 13, 2007.

1. butterflies birds blooms

butterflies birds blooms New Seed

I just moved to Kuwait and already miss my gardens and the thought of what I'll be missing this spring and summer. (I put in over 200 plants last year to attract butterflies and hummingbirds). :(

Any idea of what I can grow here in the Middle East (and I only have a small balcony)?

Thanks!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. butterflies birds blooms

butterflies birds blooms New Seed

THanks Eileen! I'll check them out... once I get my balcony looking good I'll post some pictures!

5. eileen

OO yes please!!! :-D

Advertisement
  6. blackrose

blackrose In Flower

You don't mind me waiting for that too. do you? :D Plants in Kuwait must be something different.

7. skindraya

skindraya New Seed

Welcome to Kuwait

:p Hiya,

I have been here in Kuwait for a couple of years but only recently started to Garden. I have only been planting in pots for a few weeks now so not sure what grows and what doesn't. I am at the moment enjoying watching tomatoes, courgettes (zuchinis) Aubergines (egg plants) as well as some succulents, a jasmine climber that looks like honeysuckle, Marigolds are doing real well (but are seasonal and that season is almost done with apparently), and some bushes I'm not sure of the name but I will get some pictures and see if anyone can help name them.

Oh, something else that grows real well in this heat and sun is Bourganvillia.... It thrives on drought and loves being pot bound... On a balcony it will need good support and something to climb up a little but the flowers are STUNNING on mine and its only small still....

Hope we can keep in touch and let each other know about our failures and success's in our new little gardens.... (oh i also feed my pots more regular here as I find the plants need it more than back home (UK))

Take care and stay in touch

Lucy... x

8. skindraya

skindraya New Seed

Hello everyone AGAIN :D

I have taken some pictures of my kuwait garden. You have to remember I am not only new to gardening but new to photography as well so they are very basic, but I thought they would give you an idea of what was possible to grow here.

Now my question is..... Do I upload them onto this site within my posts or is there anotehr method you guys prefer????

Thanks for all your help,
    Lucy x

9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

10. skindraya

skindraya New Seed

Pictures to look at

Hello all,

Thank you for the uploading advice. I realised I am already using a web site to put my pics on and its so easy to upload my pics. Please have a look at this web site for my Kuwait garden pics...

Thank you :D :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/skindraya2/

11. eileen

What a gorgeous garden you have!!!! :D Everything looks really healthy and strong.

I think the plant in your 7th photograph may be an Ice Plant. I'll have a look in my books and see if I can identify any of the others for you. :-D