What do I do with this Easter Lily?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Ronni, Apr 12, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

A client gave me this lovely plant as a gift. There is no tag on it, so I don't know what it is, though I'm guessing it's an Easter Lily?

It's done well on my hearth in indirect sunlight. The flowers have begun to open and the stalks appear stronger and taller. I'm not certain what kind of plant it is, so I don't know what to search for as far as care. And also don't know what I should do with it when it's done blooming. Can I plant it in the garden? Or is it a once-only type plant like the Poinsettias that someone always gives me, that don't last?

[​IMG][/URL]

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

It is an Easter Lily, I can tell you that much. And it is a bulb, so it can be replanted. Other than that, I dont know much. Its toxic to animals and since I have a cat that likes to chew leaves I havent had one for years.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lilium longiflorum (Easter Lily, November Lily)
    Click on the blue link to go to the GardenStew plant page with more information.

After the blooms have died, cut the stems off and plant the bulb outside in full sun or part shade. The leaves will die down, then you can cut them off. Don't cut them off before they die, they help the bulb store up energy for next years blooms.
    Be sure to mark the spot where you plant it so you don't accidentally dig it up again when planting something else.

Easter Lilies are forced to bloom in time for Easter, when grown in the garden they don't bloom until late April/early May.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Yes... plant it.... that's what I've done with the one's I've had.

Advertisement
  6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thank you all! Now that I know I can plant it, I'll incorporate it into my overall garden plan.

7. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Tom, you wrote: when grown in the garden they don't bloom until late April/ early May.
    Here I do not see Easter Lilies in flower until the month of June. Why are they so late here?

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

its the growing zone. Toni is in zone 9? in Texas.. the farther north you get the later they bloom in the garden.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronni, in the Northeast, lilies are plagued by the red lily beetle. It's a recent pest from Asia I think & it's horrible! It has no predators as yet. I hope it has not hit Tennessee!

I do grow lilies (just a few) but plant them where I can keep an eye on those beetles. They are bright bright red & thus easy to spot. I just pick them off as soon as they sppear.

I wish you well with your lovely lily.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I just realized that I forgot to mention that those bloom times are subjective, blooming later in cooler zones and earlier in warmer zones.. I am in zone 8a and by around the first of June all Lilies have finished blooming and are looking pretty sad. We have temps in the 80s starting in May and sometimes April so Spring bloomers here happen from March-early May.
    Like Carolyn said, it is a zone thing.
    Do you know what growing zone you are in? That will help you figure out blooming time for your plants.

11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

I am in Zone 6.