What do I have growing?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by KK Ng, Apr 2, 2021.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Had wanted to answer Sjoerd request earlier
    but because of an incident in the garden I wasn't able to. This had already happened twice and this is the third time. Why are some people so inconsiderate and stubborn?
    [​IMG]
    I have asked them nicely after every incident to cut off the tree or to trim off the weak part whenever there is but it just fall on deaf ears. This time I offered to call and pay a tree cutter to do the job and I hope this will sink into their thick skull which they rejected and said they'll do something. They are not poor, very rich have 3 Mercedes and a Honda in the house of 3 person and a maid living in.
    [​IMG]
    I have been working since the day of the incident to secure the perimeter from those pesky monkeys from getting to my pineapples.
    [​IMG]
    Those branches on the semi rotting trunk are very dangerous and the monkeys are keeping a watchful eye for an opportunity to strike.
    [​IMG]
    This is the electric fence generator which I made and installed 3 years ago. Got the circuitry design from the net and after 3 attempts I made it :)

Now to what is growing in my garden.
    [​IMG]
    First time for me planting a pineapple in a pot and is pleased with the result :)
    [​IMG]
    The usual pineapple on the ground, a favourite for the monkeys.
    [​IMG]
    The kalamansi that is already 8 years old and have been providing us with refreshing drinks all year round besides other uses :)
    [​IMG]
    I have to replant this every year and it is commonly know as pandan here. We use this plant for it's fragrant for local cakes, rice and my favourite Thai pandan chicken :)
    [​IMG]
    Basil
    [​IMG]
    Sage
    [​IMG]
    Dill ... Looks like it is time to root a new plant.
    [​IMG]
    Rosemary, it is flowering :)
    [​IMG]
    Thyme
    [​IMG]
    Rosemary and thyme and they seem to do better away from direct sunlight.
    For the basil, sage, rosemary, thyme and dill I have at least 2 pots each to make sure I have continuity.
    [​IMG]
    Tumeric scorched by the hot sun during the hot spell.
    [​IMG]
    This old bird's eye is almost expired :)
    I think I forgot to take photos of the keffir lime and aloe vera, anyway they are there :)

Hope you all enjoy taking a quick tour in my garden :)
    Oops!!! I got a message that I cannot enter more than 20 images :( OK I have removed the other photos and is going to add them below :)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
  2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Continuation from main thread to by pass the restriction :) sorry Frank :D

[​IMG]
    This is the new bird's eye chili plant and it just started fruiting.
    [​IMG]
    Brinjal which is the monkey's favourite!
    [​IMG]
    More brinjals which is also our favourite :)
    [​IMG]
    Amaranth, Kailan and Bottle Gourd from left to right.
    [​IMG]
    Chye Sim
    [​IMG]
    Another kind of brassica, sorry only know the name in Chinese :D
    [​IMG]
    Mustard heading and bok choi soon to be transplanted into this bed too!
    [​IMG]
    Yard long beans and French beans - left to right
    [​IMG]
    Okra, when the neighbour got some people to remove the branches they nearly destroyed this plant. I am now nursing it back to health and I think it is recovering.
    The plant in the pot on the right is lemongrass.
    [​IMG]
    Bitter gourd which I got the seeds when I was in Taiwan in 2019. In Taiwan they are white in colour.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    2 kinds of cucumber
    [​IMG]
    Cherry Radish - do not have much success in planting this radish.
    [​IMG]
    Sweet potato, we eat the leaves and the potatoes are a bonus.

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Very nice @KK Ng that's the trouble with wild life, we encroach on their lives that they have to come into ours and eat our food.

5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Nice pictures. Well done. We ate bok choy today for the first time. How do you like to cook them.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well KK, it has been awhile since ai have seen your garden. When I think back at all the work that you have done, all the trials and innovations that you have used to get to where you are today...well, it is just amazing.especially when one thinks about the the types of challenges that you have had. Challenges that are not typical in europe.
    Mate, just look at what you have going on now—small plots, raised beds and container use. Pretty remarkable and your anti-monkey solution is absolutely electrifying. The aqua-farming that you have done was also brilliant. Are you still doing that? I saw on the telly that there was at least one chef in Britain doing the same thing to supply himself with leafy veg for his restaurant. I saw some blue plastic containers lined up along your garden wall, is that the fish and circulatory water nutrient project?

Those pineapples were a good success story for you, weren’t they? Are rosemary and tyme typical plants used in Malaysia? I had never thought about that before. You do grow several things that would be difficult to grow here, although there are speciality shops that sell them...and of course you can eat them in restaurants.

As always, I enjoy your posts and seeing what you are growing and how you are doing.
    It is a pity that you are having so much of a problem with your neighbour. I think that is a problem that occurs world-wide.
    I hope that you have a good season. Thanks so much for the pics.

BTW—-I was curious about that pandan. Is it the same plant that one can find growing near the ocean? A plant that has reddish-orange fruits?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2021
    Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Wow ! I think you are beating us this year in growing vegetables ! We are just getting started after the big freeze ! Love the pics even though I do not know what many of them are !

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That was a great posting KK. I really enjoyed seeing (what to my eyes) are unusual plants growing in your garden. So sorry about the hassles with the monkeys and with your neighbor.

I also wondered about the rosemary, thyme & sage. Do you use these herbs in your cooking?

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

wow, you have been busy KK. sorry those neighbors are so inconsiderate. it all looks good. The basil is interesting looking... I have never seen such long strappy leaves on basil. is there a variety name on it or did you root some from the store... where did you get that? I find it intriguing. oh nevermind... I was looking at the wrong name. I was seeing the sage and thought the basil was its title. nope...

10. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Wow KK, your garden looks amazing!

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

KK, your garden must be such a pleasure to you, and it is a pleasure to all of us to see it, too!

Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  12. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Thank you Logan, that is so true :)

Thanks Odif, we usually stir fry with garlic or make clear soup with chicken stock.

Thank you so much Sjoerd. The electric fence took me quite awhile to set it up and I am happy I decided to have it. I do not have aquaponics after we moved from the old place and I missed it. Yes the small blue containers were used as the growing bed in my aquaponic system and is now used for container planting of veggies off and on. When I run out of space on the raised bed the containers will be a great help. The big ones were used for rearing the fish and is now used for composting.

Yes those pineapples are still producing sweet almost 3 kg fruits, sometimes 3+kg. The last one had a 2.8kg fruit and they are all from the same plant that produced the 3.7kg fruit.

[​IMG]

Rosemary, sage and thyme are not typical plants used here, only in western restaurants. Recently they start to appear in the supermarkets but the sales are slow. They are only cultivated in the highlands where the weather is milder.

I am happy that you enjoyed my posts, thank you and most welcome. As for the neighbour I guess I have to ignore them until the next incident.

The pandan is of the same family as that growing near the ocean but is of a different species. It is called Pandanus amaryllifolius and it is very fragrant. It is also know as the vanilla of Asia to some chefs.

Mart thank you, we have only two seasons here, hot sunny and raining with thunder storms so we can plant year round. I have some of the plants documented in the Plants section of the forum, maybe you can get an idea of what some of the plants are. :)

Thank you Cayuga Morning and I am glad you enjoyed it. I am able to do something about the monkey but the neighbour ……
    Yes we do use the herbs in our cooking especially when we have western food and in our sausages.

Thanks Carolyn. The basil was rooted from the store and it was labelled as sweet basil. Hehe!!! Sometimes that happened to me too!

Thanks Netty, Marlingardener glad you all enjoyed it :)

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What a beauty KK ! It looks enormous on the foto.
    You cannot get them in the supermarket here like that, they are way greener. It looks perfect .
    My Bride is asking how many years it took you to get that pineapple ready for harvesting? Oh, I sure wish that we could grow them here.
    Well done you, mate. That is a remarkable accomplishment.

I see what you mean about the Pandanus. I did not know that there were different types of Pandanus. Thanks for the info.

...and, thank you for the good posting. I may have dreams about that pineapple tonight. Haha.

14. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, thank you and most welcome. So did you taste the pineapple last night! Hehe!!! :D

We also cannot get pineapple like that in the supermarket too, I think the pineapples were harvested early so that they have the shelf life the farmer needed to get the pineapples to the market. It is impossible to get sweet pineapple here from the supermart. In Thailand we can get sweet pineapple from the supermart which I think it is the species type. In Taiwan I can get it from their wet market and in Australia in the farmers market even though the farmer claimed that it is sweet it is not. Anyway I found that if the fruit is ripened on the plant it is always sweet :)

It usually takes between 18 to 24 months before it start to flower and another 6~7 months for the fruit to ripen. So all in all it takes about 2 to 3 years :)

Commercially grown pineapples takes much shorter time because they are chemically induced to flower.

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

KK, yeah...almost. Ha ha. I’m telling you—that pineapple of yours is just so attractive. It really is an accomplishment.

I am 100% certain that the reason ours are never ripe is for the reason that you have just suggested. It is the same story with, for example, tomato’s. People here have honestly forgotten how a tomato is supposed to taste. They are so surprised when they taste one of ours.

Wow, I knew that the pineapples took time to produce a fruit...but that is a very long time. I can see that your disappointment would be great if a monkey would eat one of yours before you could eat it.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  16. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Very nice KK. Sorry about the neighbors. Sometimes money can't buy courtesy or common sense.