What do you hate most about gardening?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Odif, Aug 3, 2021.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

It could be endless weeding or waking up at first light and spending endless hours watering. Maybe it is playing bug squish. My pet hate is harvesting beans. It is the most back breaking task I know. However giving away or selling freshly harvested beans is one of my most enjoyable experiences.

Cayuga Morning and S-H like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. i love bugs
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Ronni
      Replies:
      Views:

3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Well I haven't really got any perticular hate when it comes to gardening. As it's always a relaxing activity for me.

But if I have to hate something about gardening, I'd say that it would be when I have to remove a dead plant... Absolutely hate it when plants die, be it for whatever reason. As it means a failure on my part.

Other things I hate, is always related to human activity, (as there isn't much in nature which irritates me). Like a tree's branch touching the overhead power cables. So that branch I'll have to cut, for no fault of the tree. Therefore I hate doing that.

4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Fungus, bugs, in that order.

S-H likes this.
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@sh dead things I remove without remorse.
    @Dirtmechanic Fungus and bugs don’t bother me so much. I live with them, preferably without them. So I welcome the challenge.

Dirtmechanic and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Another thing I hate in the garden, are snakes... I know some over here adore snakes, but in my area, absolutely every single snake which I've ever come across in life - Was poisonous.

Honestly, there aren't any none poisonous snakes in my environment. This place was always a very harsh coastal semi desert, (scorchingly hot for 8 to 9 months in a year). So you can imagine that only the most toughest and meanest creatures would survive here.

Odif likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

weeds and today the thorns on the raspberries. I am cleaning up the old canes, weeding trandsplanting and replacing all the posts and tightening the wires for tying up the canes. tedious and scratchy!

Odif likes this.
  8. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

But you do not have our climate! You live in a paradise! Sunny cool and dry! Look at this:

With an average of 2,400 hrs or in other words more than 200 days of sunshine per year Pyrenees Orientales come in 3rd position for sunshine just behind Corsica and Provence. It is also the driest region in France with an average of 58 rainy days ahead of Côte d’Azur (67 days) and Corsica (65 days). Brittany beats the records with an average of 122 rainy days a year!
    Winter climate is mild on the coast but more extreme as the altitude rises in the Pyrenees.
    The average day temperature recorded in Perpignan are the following: (2009 - Météofrance)

• Summer: 27,4°
    • Automn: 16,4°
    • Winter: 13,8°
    • Spring: 21,4°
    Pyrénées Orientales can be very windy. The "Tramontane", Languedoc's equivalent to Provence's famous "Mistral", can blow for days on end. This is the counterpart for having one of the sunniest place in France.

Its not fair!

Odif and S-H like this.
  9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@Dirtmechanic perpignan is the capital city of our department. It is about 70 odd kms from here. Our climate is completely different, lol. The best thing is that we have much less tramontana then perpi. We are mountainous here. It snows every year. Our last frost date is mid May and usually November in the start of our winter. I have seen frost in September here. We have closer to 200 days of rain than 200 days of sun. Some years, we don’t even get a summer here. This year the temperature and weather conditions are like in September, 5 days of summer this year. At least I don’t have to water my garden. Perpi is in full sun and here is full rain. Rain predicted for today. At least it is not far to drive to sunnier climates.

10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

It is raining now.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  11. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Today we are very excited that we woke up and could see out the windows because they have no condensation.

12. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

The pain!

13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Watering anything and weeding.

14. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

If you've a garden. there are some jobs, like weeding and mowing that "come with the territory."
    So there's no point complaining.

But these in ideal world, would be unnecessary.

In the summer, vacuming up the catkins that fall from next door's trees.
    Im the autumn, vacuming up the leaves that fall from next door's trees.
    Every other day, cleaning pigeon poo off the patio.

15. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@Dirtmechanic one winter we had - 18 Celsius and 100 km winds at the same time.

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  16. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Mountain living?