What does the Black Swallowtail eat?

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by wings, Jul 15, 2007.

1. wings

wings New Seed

OK guys, I am new to this whole thing...I housed Monarchs a couple of years ago, but this is my first venture into the world of the Black Swallowtail. I currently have four crysalids (not sure if that is the correct plural term or not). We are heading out of town for a couple of days. The butterflies are not "scheduled to emerge" until after we are home, but I am concerned about a premature appearance. Does anyone know if I should be putting anything in the mesh house besides parsley in case the butterflies emerge before we get home? I know Monarchs like to have oranges or something sweet, but I haven't been able to find any info about what the Black Swallowtail butterfly eats. I have crysalis photos to share if anyone is interested, I just have to figure out how to reduce the pixel size.

Any info would be appreciated,
    Thanks in advance "Wings" McClure

2. Loading...

3. Kajoe

Kajoe New Seed

I have raised black swallowtail butterflies. The butterflies drink nectar just like the Monarchs. In my garden, they like Zinnia, Joe Pye Weed flowers, Swamp Milkweed flowers, phlox, etc..

I think it is O.K. for them to be without nectar for a little while (I think I read Monarchs would be O.K. for 24 hours without nectar). I usually set them free the same afternoon after they emerge in the morning.

Parsley is the host plant (food) for the black swallowtail caterpillar, not the butterfly.

I hope this helps! They are such beautiful butterflies and the caterpillars are interesting, too!!

4. bethie

bethie Young Pine

I wouldn't worry. Butterflies are very true to their timetables. If there IS any doubt leave them outside in the shade with your container open.