what eats green beans?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by newgrow, Feb 2, 2009.

1. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Does anyone know if anything eats green beans? I only ask because I am going to fence in my garden and was wandering if I can leave the green beans on the out side so I can have more room on the inside for other things.

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Hi and welcome to the Stew.
    I think Cows,deer,,rabbits,squirrels as far as
    I know lots of animals will eat them.

4. cheerz2you

cheerz2you New Seed

Hi and welcome! I have seen slugs on mine. I started to get hair from the hair dresser and spread it all around the base of the plants. That seemed to deter the slugs and I think the smell of human hair kept the deer away too. Maybe see if your local hairdresser would be kind enough to give you what they have after a week? Good luck!

5. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Well where I live the only critters I have are squirrels,opossums,raccoons,and birds. Suppose I have slugs as well I see them under rocks in my yard. I'm doing both bush and pole beans. My bush will be on the inside and if needed the pole will have to be covered on the outside. I also was going to leave my cherry toms and jalapeno out of the garden guess I should cover them as well?

6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Here in the UK, just about everything eats them unfortunately. Slugs and snails will munch the tops clean off leaving just a stalk, deer nibble at them, leaving a similar stalk, same with rabbits, and squirrels sometimes dig the young plants up! Once they are away, then they seem okay and fend for themselves. I always grow plenty to compensate for those animal losses.