What I Canned Today

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by waretrop, Nov 15, 2012.

1. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    Cooking down chicken bones

[​IMG]
    After strained and fat taken off

[​IMG]
    36 pints jarred and most of them are sealed. they will all be soon

I have about 5 pints left that are in the freezer. 2 cups, 1 pint per zip lock baggie. They will be used first then the canned jars will be used.

I use it for starting rice or anything you need water to start. I try to keep beef broth, chicken, and lobster broth canned at all times during the year.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Zigs
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Wowie Zowie!!! :eek:

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I agree with Deanna, WOWZIE! That was a lot of work. What a great deal on the meat.

5. waretrop

Yes, I love to get those deals. I also love to save as much food as I can for future use along with having some now.

It's nice to have your cake and eat it too. LOL Save some for a rainy day, kind of.

Advertisement
  6. waretrop

LOL, It's tommorrow morning, now....I have a silly quiz for you all. LOL

In the 3rd photo, which jar did not seal? LOL

I will use that one tonight.........

Now they are all washed along with the screw bands and dried. The real problem is with my pantry. I have a choice of moving everything to add the new broth to the older ones or just create a new broth area.

Hmmmm.....wonder what I will do.

7. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

You do so well with your canning. I bet you could survive for a couple of years without going to a store. :-D
    And my guess in the quiz... far right-hand row... the second jar from the front didn't seal. :shrug:

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Barb, I have a quiz for you--just how BIG is your pantry? With all the canning you do (and it all looks delicious--reading one of your posts while hungry is painful) you must have an extra house to store it all in.
    There is absolutely no substitute for homemade chicken stock!

9. waretrop

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks a little messy, doesn't it. :oops: Well, that's the idea of it. The mess can be in there and not in my kitchen. It's about 8 X 10 and ever evolving. Move this to add that. shifting things to keep organized. It was a small bedroom. We sealed the hallway door and put one in off the kitchen and then cut it in half. The other side is my walk-in closet off my bedroom. My veggie freezer is sitting in the little closet of that old bedroom. My meat freezer is in the kitchen next to the refrigerator. I sure do cram, don't I. :D

marlingardener, BINGO you win.... :D

I could spend hours in my pantry, I love it so much. Have my coffee pot and cups there. I just pull up a stool and think about the changes i could do to store even more, :eek: Hubby loves it too but teases me....

Thank you all for the nice comments.

Sjoerd and Henry Johnson like this.
  10. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

My guess is: #2 up-from-bottom X #3 over-from-right...
    Hank

11. waretrop

Henry Johnson, You win too. Glad people can recognize an unsealed jar. It's good....

cherylad, I can't even imagine how many meals I have in my house. When everyone runs out to the stores before a big storm comes I look at my hubby and we laugh. I could feed an army for weeks. :D :D

Now I am not one of those survivalists by any means but I am close. I have to control myself. My friends tease me. I don't want to have a one tracked mind about food storage, I just want to be thrifty and get good deals on food and not waste it, while also being healthy food.

I do eat junk food, and unhealthy food and I certainly waste food but I sure try not to do those things. No one is perfect.

12. felicity

felicity New Seed

I love the pics of your pantry, THAT is impressive! I wish I had the discipline to do all that canning. How nice in the winter.

13. waretrop

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like allot but there are 11 quarts here with over 70 stuffed cabbages in them. They may not look so nice but it sure smells good around here. They are cooling now and will be washed and labeled in the morning and then I will try to find where I shall put them. My age old problem.

So this week I have done allot of canning. I don't think i will be doing any next week. I am tired....

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb, I wish I was as 1/2 as organized as you! This year I didn't do much in the way of canning. Next year....hopefully a different story. I think I will quit my farmers markets and the roadside stand a little earlier in the summer (like mid Sept) so I can get a bit more put up for us.We may need it more than ever, too. Who knows what the next year will bring.

15. waretrop

carolyn keiper, I know what you mean. Of course, I spent very little time for the past 4 years before this on with canning while taking care of my daughter. So now it's high time that I get back to work. I think I have over 6 months of lunches and dinners in the freezer and in jars. As we use some I try to add more things.

I have beans, you know, pork and beans, put up. They were dried. They turned out so good. I actually grew them, dried them and to have a variety, I canned then. I try to save them for a day I want instant things and don't feel like cooking.

Next beacon and fish fillets. :D :D

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh Ware, I have enjoyed this thread so much! What a great pantry you have...wish that I had the room for such a thing. It is marvellous. The canning of chicken broth is also a super idea--always having some at hand for cooking. Very handy and thoughtful.

I am envious :D