What is the safest way to use dried cow manure?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Freckles, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

I just collected a 5 gallon bucket of dried cow patties. What is the safest way to use this patty mess for my vegetables?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Freckles, I would think bury it as you plant your plants in the garden. I wouldn't want the manure to splash on the foliage when it rains and possibly contaminate it with E Coli. Just make sure they aren't "fresh dried" patties. I would be worried they can still burn the roots if they are. Usually, around here, the farmers give the fresh manure (such as stall muckings) 3 months on the field/garden before they till it under plant and in them.

Now don't think this is "the gospel truth" on using the patties, it is only my thought on it, not experience.

EXPERIMENT with some of them if you are not sure what to do. We all love to hear of the process and outcome of such.

Freckles likes this.
  4. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

I use dried manure from our barn and pasture around my tomatoes. I dig a hole between two tomato plants and bury the manure around 3-6 inches deep, that way the manure becomes a gradual fertilizer and is not in "direct" contact with the roots. That's the way I do it, don't mean it's the only way...but it has worked for me for well over 25 years now. :)

Freckles likes this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I collect manure from the cows next door. If it's relatively fresh (I can still smell it) I put it on the compost pile. If it's crumbly and I don't smell it, I use Deep Wood's method of burying it near but not next to plants. I double row everything I can, and simply put the manure in a trench between the rows, then cover it over.

Freckles likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Thank you all. That answers my question perfectly. My tomatoes certainly need help and I was hoping this would do it. I will bury between each tomato; that sounds safe enough.

I've never had success with toms; this year it's the leaves turning brown and crispy, some toms are looking bruised on the sides, like they're spoiling from the inside out. Florida seems to be a hard area to grow some things because of bugs, heat and disease.

Thanks again.
    Freckles

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Another method is to cut the bottom out of a 2 litre drink bottle and bury it about half way with small end down about 6 to 8 inches from your tomatoes. Put the manure in it but leave top half empty. It will only take about 2 cups of manure. Then as you water fill the bottle with water as well. It will slowly drain down and be absorbed by the roots of the tomato plant. Easy feeding that way.

marlingardener and Freckles like this.
  8. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Thank you Mart. That will be for my next bucket of cow patties, lol. I've already buried manure next to my tomatoes. But I wondered about manure tea for the plants; and that's a good way to get it down under and not so messy.
    :sete_050:

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

I use horse manure and even though horse manure will not burn if dry (I can put it in the planting hole), I am trying this as well. I can already see a considerable difference in the drink bottle method and the ones I am using for control. They have grown about a third more than the others. I will see if it produces a giant tomato for me to enter in the "biggest tomato contest".

Freckles likes this.
  10. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Yea for Mart's tomato. It's going to win! Hope you do. :-D

11. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Gosh I love this forum! Mart, that "instant manure tea" idea of yours with the soda bottle is pure genius! I make manure tea, haul it around and water plants with it. I never thought of making it "on site," as it were. This is going to be so much easier.
    C'mere little cow, come to mama . . . .

Freckles likes this.
  12. Freckles

Freckles Seedling

Marlin, that's what I was doing. I would fill bucket with water on top of manure. Then next day use the water around plants. Now isn't that liter bottle just the solution to a nasty job?

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Ha ! Evidently you two are not as lazy as I am. If there is an easier way do do something, I will find it. With the drink bottle method all you have to do is water or rain and it makes manure tea for you. I did the five gallon once and it was a pain ! With the bottle, if it is pushed into the soil pretty well, it drains through slowly. I can also add other nutrients this way. Epsom salts for BE or a bit of commercial fertilizer for Nitrogen, Phos, ect !! Just add it to the bottle.