What is the secret for keeping Lupines alive?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by JenniferL, Jun 11, 2012.

1. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

What is the secret for keeping Lupines alive in Iowa? I have planted them, they do well and are so beautiful, but then they don't come back the next year!

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

stratsmom likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I know they are short lived but they usually reseed all over the place!! Did a bug or varmint get to them?? The earwigs love mine :rolleyes:

4. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

Lupines

Anything could have been possible. The first year I planted one it came back, then it didn't the next year. So I planted another one last year and it didn't come back either. I am trying again this year, but am getting frustrated. I thought maybe they were not cold tolerant or something. I did have the beetles bad last year and I do know we have earwigs around, but never noticed them in the garden.

5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Lupins thrive in the climate we've got, with chilly summer temps and lots and lots of rain, but seem to prefer well-drained areas.

Did you plant your lupins in the same spot or did you find another place for the new one? There might be something in the soil that snack on the roots. I've lost a few plants that had no roots left when I dug them up to find out why they had died.

Advertisement
  6. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

Yes,basically the same area, in the same garden anyway. I have noted some grubs when I plant but they don't seem to bother anything else. I am wondering though if they like a lot of moisture, whether they get too dry in the fall. I tend not to water that garden much in the fall and it does get pretty dry.

7. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Couple other ladies said they are having trouble with Lupines coming back in Iowa.Didn't buy plants this year. Going to try winter sowing some for next year. Got some free seeds.But think strange weather here.

8. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

I haven't had any luck with lupines in Iowa either. I gave up a few years back. If it doesn't just grow when I plant it, I go on to something else. :-D

9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I am in Wisconsin and my lupines had always come back but I got tired of the plants being covered with aphids so I dug them out and disposed of them. Once in a while I will get a stray one (must be from the birds) so I get to see them for a while. The aphids would come so fast and the plants looked so terrible when they did that so I just decided no more trying to fight these bugs.

10. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

Ugh, I hate aphids, they can do so much damage. Though the asian beetles wiped about everything out for me last summer. That is why I am having grub treatment this summer. My hibiscus were just gross from them.

11. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

I just bought some yesterday. Going to give them another try. But only $1 each for healthy plants-little root bound. But they will say Thanks I Hope. You set me free.

12. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Lupines varieties that I grow are biennial. They self sow in the same area, but prefer an environment that is well-drained, disturbed soil with little or no competition with lots of moisture. If you have native varieties of lupine they are fun to try, and have been successful in my garden. Good luck :stew1:

13. JenniferL

JenniferL New Seed

hmm, good to know. Not sure what I have been buying as far as perineals. I think maybe my garden gets too dry in the fall, as I kind of let things retire, so maybe I will try to keep it watered clear until freeze.