What is your car oil change interval?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by KK Ng, Apr 27, 2012.

1. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I am in the market for a new car since both our cars are more than 10 years old, worn and tired. My Nissan Serena is 15 years old and I just sold it recently. I was kind of a sad and relief to see it go. Now we are getting around in a Perodua Kelisa which is a rebadge model of the Daihatsu Gino.

[​IMG]
    It's old ( photo / image / picture from KK Ng's Garden )

Since the children are all grown, we decided 1 car is enough for both of us.

I was browsing the internet looking for a suitable car for the both of our needs and I was surprised that the oil change interval on almost all new cars had not changed since the day I started driving which is like 40 years ago. Cars technology had improved by leaps and bounds and so is lubrication oil. Some lubrication oil manufacturer claims that with their lubrication oil, oil change interval can be extended. However with the car manufacturers, as far as I know some German car maker have increased the oil change interval from the norm of 5,000km or 3,000miles.

So what do you think? With today's advanced technology shouldn't all new cars oil change interval be increased? Increased oil change interval is very beneficial to the enviroment and our pocket too!!!

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think it's every 3000 miles :-D

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our two year old Skoda Greenline only needs an oil change every year or every 10,000 miles.

5. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Stratsmom, Eileen, sorry I pressed the wrong button so maybe my post was not completed when you put in your reply while I was editing it.

Eileen 10,000 miles is great!

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ours is a Dodge Caravan and it is 3,000 mile intervals if it is city driving (5,000 for highway miles, I think).

7. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

We change our's every 5000 miles under normal driving conditions.

8. rockhound

rockhound In Flower

I change every 2,000 miles. New oil is much cheaper than a new engine. Always change the filter too when you change oil.

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Sorry I forgot to add that our car is diesel not petrol. We change the oil filter twice a year which helps keep the oil clean.

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

In my 07 Jeep change it every 5,000 miles. In 12 truck just 2 weeks old. But will change it also every 5,000 miles. All ways take to same place. They use good grade oil.

11. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Looks like mostly are in the 5000 miles range which I think is reasonable. I wonder whether it is safe for me to follow this 5000 miles interval when I get my new car which I believe that in the operation manual would definitely mention 3000 miles. Hmmm ....................

12. katu06

katu06 New Seed

I have an 09 Chevy Aveo. It has a "sensor" that determines when the oil needs to be changed. The owners manual actually indicates that is is possible the light may not come on for a year, but the oil should be changed at least once a year.

I was told by the car dealer that it needs to be changed every 6,000 to 9,000 miles. I usually just get it changed every 6,000. It takes a good 9,000 before the light actually comes on though.

13. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I have a
    1993 ford mustang convertable,
    1991 mercury capri convertable,
    1993 mercury capri convertable,
    big black thing,
    oh and a very very old yellow thing for plowing snow on our private road.

Let's see, that's 5. Everybody get's a oil change every 3000 miles. and the 93 capri get's a thinner extra oil change in Sept. and a thicker one in Spring. The capri's are not used in the Winter so the 1993 has no miles on one change. Got that??? I get confused sometimes. LOL

Barb in Pa.

14. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

In 1957 I owned a 1947 Buick. It was a beautiful big convertible with a straight 8 engine. I never changed the oil. It burned a quart of oil every 200 miles at which point I would add a quart. I guess in effect that could be called a continuous running oil change. Try this old timers trick:when the engine starts making funny noises, turn up the volume on the radio.
    dr

15. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I have a '93 Chevy Cavalier, had it 3 years and Ive only had the oil changed twice. I dont pay attention to how many miles I go between changes, I just wait until the noises it makes are worse than usual *lol* I know, Im not such a great car-mom...

16. Carol Blue-Garcia

Carol Blue-Garcia Seedling

Recommended for our cars is 3,000. They are all older vehicles. When I get a newer (still used) vehicle, I hope it will be a longer interval.