What is your most used garden tool?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by 2ofus, Aug 1, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We've had questions on the worst tool and one on how to improve tools. I'm curious about what tool ,or tools, you use the most when gardening. Mine would be a small shovel with a long handle and a dandelion digger.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have a few. Secateurs, small trowel and scissors. I can't do as much in the garden these days (arthritis) but I do still like to potter. Now Ian's most used tools are his spade, fork ladder and kneeling pad - guess who does all the hard graft outdoors? ;)

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I couldn't live without my secateurs or transplant shovel.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I had to look up the meaning of secateurs as I've only heard them call pruners or pruning shears. ;) I enjoy learning new words so its fun. Netty does your transplant shovel have a long or short handle? I use my small shovel that has a long handle for dividing or transplanting larger plants. I also should have mention my kneeling pad with handles so I can get up easier. If it's turned over it's a bench to sit on. I can't get up very easy anymore without a little help. :(

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My transplant shovel had a short 'D' handle. I use it for more than digging ... it is also great for getting the dirt away from the edges and weeding.
    I usually use the word 'pruners' rather than 'secateurs' too ... not sure why I called them that :snicker:. But what ever they are called, I use mine every single day.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I have a four-tine cultivator that I use a LOT! Texas has every weed known to mankind, and most are living happily in my flower and vegetable beds. The handle is long enough that I don't have to bend over much, the four tines will pull out the roots of all but the most stubborn weeds, and it has a red handle so I can find it when I lay it down and walk off.
    I also love my small Fiskars pruners--very sharp, very pointed, and ideal for harvesting herbs. They used to have a bright orange sheath, but I laid that down somewhere and haven't found it yet. Perhaps my third most used garden tool would be someone to follow me around and pick up all the stuff I leave lying about!

carolyn likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

It depends on the season... Pruners for the trees in the Spring is the first most used item. A hoe for weeding when I have to, A trowel, a hoe and string line for making STRAIGHT rows. The gardenway seeder for planting seeds.. those are the most important hand tools that I can think of right now. Do you want the list of mechanical tools, too? that one is just as important for me. First the tractor, the tiller, the plastic layer....

9. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

No question for me- my trusty Felco pruners. I keep them on my hip (a belt with a holster) Use them every single day.

carolyn likes this.
  10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

My kneeling pad, Mechanix gloves, Corona Trowel and a well used coal scuttle for holding the weeds until I can put them in the bag, cleared all the grass from the front yard with those. I used a garden fork on the back yard and still use it when needed. No shovel, it won't even break the surface of our concrete hard black clay. I have a few different types of cutters, the ones I love best are not to be found anywhere anymore, got them at Harbor Freight several years ago and thankfully I bought two then.

11. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

It is hard to single them out but I'd say my little hand pruners and garden trowel. I also drag my small shovel with me from the front yard to the back yard, back to the front yard, over be the driveway, out to the ditch, back to the front yard.......

12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

:snicker: MG, I could use someone to pick up after me too! I try to remember to drag a 5 gallon bucket with me but I forget and leave it where ever I weeded last. I just keep on weeding and dead heading THEN go back and start picking it up! I also keep small and a medium Fiskar pruners near. I bought them last summer and I love the small ones too. I also keep a pair of sewing scissors handy for cutting back creeping phlox, dead-heading grape hyacinths, any multiple flowers that stop blooming all at once. A couple of the hand tools I forgot to mention is a heavy duty sharp 2 1/2 inch hoe on one side and a 3 tined cultivator on the other side. Also a short very narrow spring type rake that is great for spreading mulch around each plant. Gee, I think I've just listed every tool I use in the flowerbeds! o_O:stew1:

13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have a combination medium sized hoe on one side, and a fork thing on the other side. I have no idea what the tool is called, but it is very handy for digging and yanking weeds. I do wish it had a longer handle though. The handle is adjustable but still not long enough. I also keep my shovel handy in case of copperheads. I have a screw driver type tool with a forked prong for popping weeds also. It was a $1 at Dollar Tree, and very handy. Sometimes I see them advertised for over $20 for the same tool. I use my clippers and rakes a lot too.

14. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have a tool like you described and had the same compliant, the handle is too short. I mentioned it to Mike and he added a piece to it so it's longer now but, I can't adjust it shorter. At times I missed the shorter handle when spreading mulch around. I was really pleased when a friend of mine got me a short handled one for my Birthday! Now I can use the both of them. The screw driver type tool is what I call a dandelion digger. They are great for cutting the roots down deep and popping the weed out. I also us it on Japanese clover as it is hard to get the whole root out as it likes to break off and start growing again. That little tool pops them out too. I am also a lover of shovels. From hand held ones to tall ones. I have 3 long handled shovels , small, medium, and wide. I use them a lot.

15. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

The absolute worst tool is the "Garden Weasel". It is flimsy and useless in the hard rocky clay soil we have here. I had computer probs last time, and didn't get to post my comment on that tool. And it would never dig deep enough to be of any use anyway.

16. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

One 'tool' I have is called a garden tractor. No motor and the wheels won't turn but the seat does. I just set it in-between the rows in the garden, swivel the seat toward the row and I can weed or pick the vegetables and roll it ahead to the next section with out getting up and down. Any where else in the yard it's a waste of time as it only goes straight but it beats the heck out of sitting on the ground and scooting along like I used to do. Gardeners just shouldn't have bad backs!