What is your recipe for making sausage?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Sjoerd, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Good Morning Stewbies,

A question-- What is your tried and true recipe for making sausage?
    I am especially interested in what herbs and how much of the herbs you use.
    Any discussion here would be helpful to me.
    Thanks.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Would that be breakfast sausage or link type?

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Breakfast patties please, Martje.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Try this one, the spices are per 16oz (1 lb) so just multiply for larger amounts. But I would try one lb to see if you like it or need to adjust seasonings. Most of the seasonings can be adjusted to taste. Just make sure the pork you use is about a 70/30 lean to fat ratio.
    1 to 1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 tsp black pepper
    1 tsp each, sage, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, cayenne pepper. Can add same amount red pepper flakes if you like it spicy.
    1 TBSP dark brown sugar or maple syrup. Mix well by hand or slow speed on mixer just till well mixed,,,do not over mix. Chill at least 1 hr then fry one and try it. That will tell you what seasonings to adjust/or leave out. Some do not like garlic pdr in sausage but I do.
    Let me know what you think. Like I said you can change to suit your taste.

Advertisement
  6. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

I have tried many different combination of flavours for sausage and this is the most popular in my family. I have made this recipe again and again and we always have this type of sausages in the freezer at all time :) Basically it is a fresh herb recipe and this recipe is for a kilo of ground pork.

1. Ground pork shoulder with 20~30% fats - 1 kg.
    2. Black pepper - ½ tablespoon
    3. Finely chopped Rosemary - ½ tablespoon
    4. Finely chopped Sage - 1 tablespoon
    5. Finely chopped Thyme - 1 tablespoon
    6. Powdered dry Nutmeg - ½ teaspoon
    7. Brown sugar - 1 tablespoon
    8. Salt - 1 teaspoon or to taste.

Note: Only the leaves of the herbs are used and the amount can be varied according to taste. The measurement is for after chopping the herbs. If making more than a kilo, just multiply accordingly. For some spicy taste add some chili flakes. After seasoning the meat, leave it in the fridge to mature?, season? or marinate? ... you know what I mean! :) for about a couple of hours best till the next day before making into patties or sausages.

Hope you like it!

Enjoy.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you two so very much. I mean that.

While we were waiting to see what would be suggested, we tried a sort of combo recipe. It tastes pretty good, but somehow, I had the feeling that here on the GardenStew, I would hear a recipe that would give an "authentic" flavour...if you know what I mean.

We have eaten the patties twice and the sausage is kept in the freezer. I would like to note that every time we try it, the flavour seems to become richer..sort of as if it were ageing. It would be great if I had a smoke-house but I don't, so I shall have to row with the oars that I have, as we say here.

I have to tell you that breakfast sausage here is not known, cooked breakfasts are not widely done. Coarsely ground meat is so unknown that we must especially order it beforehand, also ground pork is never sold by itself--it is mixed with beef...and one cannot buy brekkie sausage in any of the supermarkets.

Oh, there is sausage alright, but it is a European sort and tastes totally different. One type is eaten as a cold cut on bread and the others for eating with veggies at dinner.

I know that the Brits have link sausage, but the flavour is not the same as what we are looking for...plus it is quite a ways to go to buy some of those.

Anyhow, I hope to see even more recipe's on here...but we will try these two recipe's and let you know they taste to us. Oké? It will be a little while until we finish up the supply that is in the freezer at the moment.

Thanks again, you two....and now, a square of Ghirardelli 'Soiree' dark chocolate with sea salt. One must keep up one's chocolate blood levels.;)

8. CJay

CJay In Flower

We like to make venison breakfast sausage. But when we make it we do so in bulk. Not sure exactly how to scale it down.

If you don't hunt you can still get venison to make your own. Well kind of. If you don't know a hunter who is willing to go live you some then getting actual venison can be difficult. In most places it's illegal to sell wild venison. But there are lots of places around the country that farm raise white tail, elk and bison. It is pricy though.

Like I said before I don't really measure. So I'll try to describe it as best I can.

Last time we made it we did a made a total of about 30 pounds of sausage and I'm pretty sure we went through 10 pounds of bacon. Venison fries out a lot when ya cook it so adding bacon not only adds an amazing flavor but keeps it moist while cooking. We have in the past also used prepackaged pork breakfast sausage to mix in with the ground venison. Is say we probably used an Liu t the same amount so say a 2 to 1 ratio.

As for spices and herbs. We use crushed red pepper, ground sage, onion salt and ground ginger. I like it spicy. So after adding the other ingredients in equal portions until i can barely them all over the smell of pork I add the pepper so it is just slightly more strong than the rest of the ingredients.

9. mart

mart Strong Ash

My recipe is a southern style. I use poultry seasoning because it is a blend of spices that includes rosemary marjoram thyme oregano ect. Not all labeled Poultry Seasoning are the same blend so read the ingredients and buy the one that suits your taste. For an Italian style sausage, omit the poultry seasoning,sage and brown sugar/syrup and add dry basil, oregano, and 1 TBSP tomato paste. Can throw in some fresh Italian herbs as well.
    As with all sausage the longer it sits the better it gets.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CJAY--Thanks for your discussion of venison sausage. Boy, that takes me back. My bride and I lived in Alaska for 5 years once and there we could eat all manner of wild meats like venison, moose, bear, reindeer and of course a host of fish and crabs.

The meat sort isn't so important to me as the herbs that one uses. I am looking for a good, warm combination that give the "old-fashioned" flavour. Thanks again for noting the herbs that you used.

MART--The Southern style...that sounds right to me. We have some poultry seasoning in the house already. I shall have to have a look at the ingredients.
    I appreciate your posts to help me along in this.
    I get the Italian style business, but first I would like to get the Southern style down before branching out.

CJay likes this.
  11. mart

mart Strong Ash

I like mine a bit on the "warm" side so I add more cayenne pepper. But any of the spices can be increased according to taste. And of course as any good southern cook says,,a little extra never hurts. Just start with the basic recipe and cook one patty to see how it tastes to you. Then add whatever is necessary. If you are not sure about the garlic powder leave it off until you try it. Would be good to make it one day and refrigerate until the next day to give the spices a chance to blend in.

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

That is excellent advice.
    Garlic is a flavour that I like very much...the bride less. I could and would eat it every day were it possible. The wild garlic is growing now and I often pluk a leaf or flower in passing when I am in the garden. So, I can imagine that it would be delicious in sausage.