What kind of flower smells similar to honeysuckle at funeral

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by cathy coolidge, Mar 24, 2013.

1. cathy coolidge

cathy coolidge New Seed

I was at a friend's funeral last year around march and I smelled a unique -smelling flower that I could not identify from the many different flowers that were there. So I don't know what it looked like. But it kinda smelled similar to a honeysuckle but seemed even more smelly,. My husband said that they smelled bad to him, but I liked the scent. It did not smell like the typical rosy, sweet, floral smelling flowers that are usually at funerals. I would describe it as a deep, pungent, musky, scent similar to honeysuckle. It sure smelled different from all the other flowers there. She had some Iris flowers there but I don't think those were the smelly flowers. I live in Ohio. Anybody got any ideas what this might have been?

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Some baby's breath is very "sweet" scented. It is a filler flower so you may not be aware of exactly where the scent was emanating from. It is the only thing I can think of right this moment that would have much fragrance from a flower shop at this time of year.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Most floral arrangemnets used for funerals have lilies in them. They are strongly scented. Many people find the aroma overpowering and as your husband said, smell 'bad.' Others like the scent, like you do, so maybe they were what you were smelling.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I think "Stock" smells awful good and I know our flower shop uses a lot of it! I love it :p I don't know the botanical name :-?