What material for interior doors would you choose?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by louise, Oct 24, 2011.

1. louise

louise New Seed

What material for interior doors would you choose?

I'm being talked into choosing oak doors and have been recommended this company in particular http://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/ but they're not cheap...

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions?

Edit to add: has anyone happened to have used the company in question?

moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Who is trying to talk you into the oak doors, hubby or sales person? Hubby okay, sales person not so much.

Do any of those doors fit the style of your home...more importantly since you will have to pay for them and live with them do you like any of those doors styles?

Our house is a standard tract home of the 1960's era so replacement doors when we get around to that will be plain solid core doors for durability and sound proofing and come from one of the local big box DIY stores. I guess I really am of no help to you. :rolleyes:

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Like Toni, we are in Texas in a house built in the late 1970's. As we replace doors (hollow core, ghastly fake something-wood) we are using louvered doors. They still allow privacy but also allow air circulation. They are wood, and a real bear to paint, but we like them awfully well.
    Oak seems very appropriate for the UK. Pine, not so much!

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Louise I'd take a trip to either Homebase, B&Q or Wickes as they have a large selection of internal doors. If you're really keen on oak then you can stain them to look the part. So much cheaper than paying out for solid oak as, after all, they are for inside not outside so don't need to be weatherproof.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

When we built our house, I didn't know any better than to think there was any thing different offered than what was quoted... Well, DUH! So we got hollow core oak veneer. they aren't sound resistant, so whenever anyone flushes or runs water or makes water :rolleyes: there is no mistaking the noise.
    As we remodel and replace doors they will be solid. but until then we will tolerate them as they are. There definitely is a difference between them and hollow core doors.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

OH, gosh, I should have mentioned that we don't use the louvered doors on the bathrooms! :oops:

8. louise

louise New Seed

The main reason I want solid oak is for sound retention. As someone just below has mentioned, they have hollow core and you can hear everything.

Or are there other materials that offer the same level of soundproofing for less cost?

9. louise

louise New Seed

Update:

I now have this beauuutiful door in my living room: http://www.ukoakdoors.co.uk/four-panel- ... p-358.html

It's quite minimalist (I think) and doesn't really go with the tired old curtains I've got.

I want to replace them with some blinds, but I'm having a bit of trouble choosing.

Considering the door, and the fact my living room is homely but minimalist with a lot of light colours (will try and get a picture, will need to borrow a camera though) would you choose:

Something simple and classic like this blind: http://www.mswoodenblinds.co.uk/p-674-p ... assic.aspx

Or something a bit different like in the pictures below:

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from louise's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from louise's Garden )

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Louise, the door you chose is lovely. Sorry I can't help with the "choosing" part, but let us know what you decide on.