What movies or TV shows to watch during lockdown?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by S-H, Apr 14, 2020.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Since there isn't much else to do while almost 4 billion us worldwide are under lockdown - I figured, why not watch some movies and TV shows?

So last night I saw just the perfect film. World War Z. Movie was released in 2013, but I don't know why I missed it... Well, I have seen it now, and I must say, it had a very "interesting" effect on the mood of someone I was watching this with.

:snicker: :rofl: :smt044

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I do not watch movies ! I watch HGTV, DIY,,A&E ect both cooking channels and anything else that actually teaches you something ! I love Barnwood Builders and all of the antique shows !! Can`t stand the language in most movies !

Growingpains and S-H like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Your preferences are similar to mine, in a lot of ways, (learning something new of our interest is always very rewarding)... But I think I have now watched all the how to videos on YouTube - Specially those of 4x4 off-road car modifications and ungrades. As well as those of hydroponics, aquaponics, and aeroponics...
    :D

Growingpains likes this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Don't like cooking shows,....how many ways is there to cook chicken?. And most of the good regular TV programs are on their last season with their promised replacements holding no interest for me.

I have various movies and TV shows on DVD that I watch when the mood hits. Both versions of Cosmos (Carl Sagan and Neil Degrasse Tyson), BBC's Connections presented by James Burke, Rosemary and Thyme (gardeners who always stumble into murder mysteries), Brother Cadfael mysteries, Miss Marple with Geraldine McEwan, Serenity, and an assortment of early 1950's Sci-fi
    movies..my absolute favorite being The Thing from Another World came out in 1951,,,,I was 6 and it scared the begeebers out of me. And The Day the Earth Stood Still with Michael Rennie who I have had a crush on since then.
    I think I will pull out The Joseph Campbell tapes and DVDs to start with.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    Growingpains, Frank and S-H like this.

Advertisement
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

I am actually surprised that you watch BBC documentaries in US... I too have seen connections, and connections 2. Tomorrow's World wasy favorite BBC show to watch in the early 90s. And even now, I never miss any episode of BBC's. Horizon

Original Cosmos I had seen in the 80s. It was a wonderful time for me. As I was studying the solar system in school. During that exact same time Voyager 1 and 2 were discovering new moons of Jupiter and Saturn. I remember that I almost wanted to cry, when I learned that both these spacecraft wouldn't be going to Pluto.

Funnily, my school was named New Horizon... So when the New Horizon spacecraft recently visited Pluto. I was delighted beyond words!
    :smt026
    Currently I too am watching Dr. Neal DeGrass Tyson's version of The Cosmos. I like this version better, as it's in the 9x16 widescreen aspect ratio. While Carl Sagan's original was is in the old 3x4 TV frame aspect ratio.

Growingpains and Frank like this.
  7. toni

There are many BBC programs aired over here. Not on the regular channels but we have an independent TV network that airs a lot of them..In fact KERA Channel 13 in Dallas was the first US station to air Monty Python's Flying Circus . Okay some would say that is not a great thing to brag about but it grows on you...usually. Randy introduced me to it when we started seeing each other...and yet I married him anyway. ;)
    Pretty much, you name an old sit-com that has been on BBC and we have seen it over here. Not interested in the historical romance programs, I wish they would bring back to good old sit-coms or Brit-coms as they are called over here.
    A couple of winters ago when it was too wet and cold to be outside, I had a marathon watching binge of the two versions of Cosmos. I have them both on DVD. I don't think I can choose one over the other....I like both presenters. The DeGrass Tyson version was able to provide information updates though if I remember correctly....guess it is time to watch those again too.

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Have you seen Only Fools and Horses? That was my favorite! Yes Prime Minister was my second favorite. The Fawlty Towers is of course an all time classic! But have you seen The Piglet Files? Or Drop the Dead Donkey from the mid 90s. They were all so hilarious! :smt044

And among the more recent, have you seen The IT Crowd!? :smt005

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  9. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

For those of us who record favourite movies off the TV and save them over the years, or have a lot on DVD, there's plenty of choice.

There's a lot on YouTube, many of which are free.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=full+movies

I've been watching the series "Flack." on "W" . A bit like "The Devil Wears Prada" but much edgier.

10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Of course, one of the absolute classic from UK was the unforgettable comedy Mind Your Language. It was very popular over here - As it had a Pakistani character too.

:smt005 :rofl: :smt044

Growingpains likes this.
  11. toni

Yep those three plus,
    Good Neighbors (in Britain it was named The Good Life),
    Benny Hill,
    Are You Being Served,
    Faulty Towers,
    Fresh Fields,
    BlackAdder,
    Butterflies,
    May to December,
    Last of the Summer Wine,
    Open All Hours,
    Red Dwarf,
    Robins Nest,
    To The Manor Born
    Yes Minister,
    Up Pompeii,
    As Time Goes By,
    Keeping Up Appearances,
    Mr. Bean (watched under protest from me),
    Waiting For God,
    The Vicar of Dibley,
    One Foot In The Grave,
    Only Fools and Horses,
    Father Ted,
    No Job For a Lady,

Growingpains, Frank and S-H like this.
  12. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes I remember The Good Life very well. It was about a guy who quit his job, jumped out of the rat race. And went totally in the direction of off-grid living, (he when set up a chicken coop co his back yard for eggs and meat). It was funny how his wife tried to support his idea to the best of her abilities. But nothing ever worked right. Which I guess is why it was such a funny show.

I saw Yes Minister, but the next series was name Yes Prime Minister. Where they all got to higher posts, including Sir Humphrey! The funniest episode was when the Minister who had now become the Prime Minister - Was given the charger of UK's nuclear weapons.

OK, so we have seen a lot of these o er here too. But have you seen Some Mothers Do Ave Em? That was unbelievably hilarious!

:rofl: :smt044

Growingpains likes this.
  13. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I don't watch much secular programming any more. I have a few history films that I like on WW2. But I mostly watch some Bible study videos or DVDs. I like speakers like Dr Walter J Veith, Stephen Bohr, Doug Batchelor, Jeff Dowell, and some others all on you tube.

14. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Since I live out in the country, and have lots of space between my neighbors and I, I like to work outdoors as much as I can. They do too, and our homes are well separated by woods and fields.

15. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Last night I was in the mood for something classic. So I picked the original Planet of the Apes, staring Charlton Heston.

But just as I was about to play it, international news on one TV channel started. It showed all the major world leaders, and what they were currently up to. As well as what was happening inside the United Nations at that very time!

So I watched that for about an hour. I was watching it with great interest, as I was sure that any moment now, there would be a major announcement from somewhere... Until I got disappointed and said to my self - My time really would have been better spent, had I watched the movie instead.
    :sulk:
    However, I soon realized, that for the past hour to hour and a half. I was actually watching the REAL Planet of the Apes!

:smt005 :rofl: :smt044

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    Odif and Growingpains like this.
  16. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I also love to read books, especially history and Christian books.

Currently, I am reading "The Good Man of Nanking" by John Rabe, which are his personal diaries. He and others documented all the atrocities of the Japanese Army at that time. He and the other foreign nationals were trying to help the Chinese at this terrible time in history by providing a safety zone for the civilians. There is a film by his name, but it is not totally accurate as to the events.

I just ordered a new book called "The New Foxes Book of Martyrs" which includes the original but it has been rewritten and updated to current times. It is rewritten by a Harold J Chadwick.

One of my majors in college is History, and I read a lot of history books, so my reading tastes are eclectic. I read a lot of church history also.

(and then there is housework to catch up on, and I need to finish crocheting my grandbaby's blanket. I also like to sew and do crafts when I get some time.)

S-H likes this.