What plants did you propagate this year?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by purpleinopp, Oct 18, 2012.

1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I propagated the following landscape plants to add to new areas reclaimed from grass in my yard, and to share with others. All were cuttings put directly in soil, unless otherwise indicated.

Gardenia
    Turkey fig (Ficus carica)
    Confederate rose (Hibiscus mutabilis)
    Lantana camara - meant to go straight to soil but got distracted and realized roots had formed in water in under 3 weeks
    Canna divisions
    moved Lycoris radiata bulbs from lawn to beds
    Butterfly bush (Buddleia davidii)
    Tradescantia pallida (purple heart)
    Hibiscus (blue, not sure about species) - ground layered
    Colocasia esculenta babies moved away from Mom to other spots
    Wax Begonias
    Passion vine (Passiflora of undetermined species) - rooted in water

Failures were Daphne, Petunia.
    Jury's still out on Dahlia and Rosemary.

Too many house plants to list.

What did you propagate this year?

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I started geraniums from seed!!! I'm darn proud of myself!!! :p Oh yeah, I saved a little old "fancy" geranium by dipping it in rooting hormone and then in good soil. He looks AMAZING!!! ;)

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Propagating is one of the most fascinating things about gardening! I certainly didn't even approach the number of plants you propagated, but I did do some.
    Three antique roses (Marie Pavie, Maggie, and Old Blush)
    Tuscan rosemary
    Yellow Pear tomato (by pegging, not cutting)
    Peruvian Rock Rose (again by pegging)
    Mexican Honeysuckle
    Flame Acanthus

These are all easy to propagate. When I get more time I may tackle some of the more difficult plants.

5. purpleinopp

Marlin, if you wouldn't mind, I'd love to hear more about your rosemary propagation. A few weeks ago, I trimmed a shrub at my Mom's house and brought home some pieces but they don't look like they're going to take. Probably a bad time of year, or I may have left them in water too long before getting a pot together for them. I'll keep watering the pot for a while, I've been surprised before...!

Stratsmom, by fancy Geranium, do you mean an annual Pelargonium? I keep reading how easy that is to do but never see any plants with flowers other than red. I really don't want red ones. Sounds like you're keeping it inside as a house plant?

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Not as much as I'd have liked. With the builders still being here it's been hard to get things done. :rolleyes: I do have 9 lavender though and around 60 primula vialii and three dozen polyanthus.

Lilthisnthat and Philip Nulty like this.
  7. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

For a few years I have been propagating plants for one of the garden clubs which I am a member of,they raise money for charity and give a small amount back to the grower.[me]
    Other members are the customers and are happy to get cheap plants and sometimes ones that are not available in regular nurseries.
    Here are some of my 'babies'

[​IMG]
    Coleus are always popular ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Manihot and some dahlias ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Ornamental and fruiting bananas ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Never enough of these ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

I have got some of my best plants off that table.
    I have also grown on some softcane dendrobiums,
    one of my favorites.

[​IMG]
    Babies on the mother plant ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Now in its own pot ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

In about 18mths time they should look a bit like this, the babies can also be tied to a tree.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from chocolate's Garden )

You are right M. it is one of the most interesting and fascinating hobbies.I dont do much from seed...that is an impressive list P.

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I grew some hibiscus and gave them to my neice. Also have thinned out some Crinum and gave to co-workers. Started some babies from the African Milk Tree and gave to family members. Passed around some of the Creepin' Charlie, Baby Sunrose. Divided and moved some Vinca to various areas.
    I started some Hibiscus from seed, some marigolds, coneflowers, Pride of Barbados all for myself. Seems there were more just can't think of them right off hand.
    Next year I really want to start more "babies" so I can have them ready to put out in the Silent Auction at church's fall festival. And also, the ECO center is trying to start an annual Farmers Market... would be neat to take a few plants there.

Philip Nulty and chocolate like this.
  9. purpleinopp

Keep noticing that I love the pics you put in various places, Chocolate, becoming a serious fan. Thanks for sharing these, inspirational!

Cheryl, you sound so organized, and generous. Good stuff!

I love how everyone wants to have plants to give away. I really get a kick out of doing this.

And I agree about Coleus, my true love regarding plants and propagation in general. Had a frost scare last week so I took a few cuttings of each kind.
    Luckily we were spared. I plan to save every branch out there and can't wait to see what leaves I can find in stores next year!

[​IMG]
    Love these windowsills! ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Purpleinopp, I just noticed that you were curious about rosemary propagation. I have Tuscan rosemary, as well as prostrate and a vulgarisand all strike roots fairly easily.
    One method is pegging--simply take a long branch, scratch an area bout 1" long on the underside of it to expose the green under the bark, and peg it down to the soil with a rock, or a upside-down U shaped wire. Keep that moist, and roots will form (I have best luck with this method in the spring).
    Another method is to take a cutting that is still green on the stem, cut the bottom at an angle (exposes more area for rooting) and remove the bottom 1/3 of the leaves, then put the cutting in a 50/50 mix of vermiculite and perlite in a small pot. Cover the whole thing with a bottomless clear pop bottle (2 liter)with the cap removed. Set this on a shelf or in the shade outside in fall or spring, and keep it moist. When a gentle tug meets resistance, roots have formed and the cutting can be potted up in soil.
    Not all cuttings will strike, so I always take extra.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  11. purpleinopp

Thanks, Marlin! I'll try all of those next spring. I LOVE putting the branches in the grill and sometimes cook with the leaves. It would be so much more convenient to have our own shrub. It's also nice to have a vase of freshly cut branches inside when the windows are closed up!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When your rosemary gets larger, take some of the branches that are as big around as a pencil, strip the leaves but leave a tuft at the top, and use the branches as shish-kebab skewers. With pork or chicken the rosemary skewers impart a lovely, subtle flavor. We also like to have a rosemary skewer or two of fresh pineapple, new potatoes, or mushrooms to compliment the meat.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Jane... that sounds yummy! I just finished supper but suddenly felt hungry for those kabobs. :smt118

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. DMJ24

DMJ24 Seedling

I have a pineapple top that is growing. a pomegranite tree. and several avocado plants growing.
    I am getting antsy. I i HAVE A NEED TO PLANT SEEDS!
    i am hoping to get my hands on some stevia seeds.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

DMJ,
    I don't have any stevia seeds to send you, but Pinetree Seeds http://www.superseeds.com has them for sale at $2.50 for 15 seeds. If you have an itch to plant seeds, they are a good source for herbs, vegetables, flowers at reasonable prices and decent shipping costs. They are also prompt, and have great customer service.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  16. purpleinopp

With a month of this year already in the past, what have people begun propagating?

Thanksgiving cactus are making aerial roots like crazy so I twisted some sections loose to begin fulfilling their dreams down at the soil surface.

Started a lot earlier snapping cane Begonias. Excellent results! By the time it gets to be April, (when I started last year,) the plants should be big enough to snap off more pieces.

Also snipped most stems of T. zebrina (ground cover in many pots) to stick the ends back in, for added fullness.

Philip Nulty likes this.