What soil do you use ?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Clay_22, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I always use the bagged variety of seed starting soil. I was thinking of trying those pellets you see out there. Just wondering what everyone else out there uses to start their seeds.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have used coconut coir, peat pellets and loose mix soiless potting/seed starting mix. Coconut coir is a ph neutral fiber. I wasn't excited the one time I used it, but I think I didn't fertilize quite right, either... I wasn't used to it and wasn't sure how exactly to fertilize (or not) with it. I have used peat pellets, they are easy but not always the best media depending on what you are starting. the ph needs to be watched/adjusted AND watch for fungus gnats to become a problem if you keep the pellets on the wet side and I have found algae grows very well on the netting... YUCK! it is hard on the plants. The soiless mix is by far the most economical just make sure you are using a good brand... I use baccto.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I used the pellets one year, and had lower germination rates, weaker plants, and more trouble getting the plants transplanted than I'd ever had before with either sterile soilless mix or with regular potting soil.
    I prefer the sterile mix, but the fertilizer-free potting mix works well, also. It does need to be sifted since it has bits of bark and sticks in it.