What things do you miss from your childhood?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Capt Kirk, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Thank a Veteran today!

I grew up on a farm, although I don't miss the farm chores, I do miss things associated with them. I miss going to bring the cows in, in the evening with the family dog. I miss squirting the cats with milk at milking time. I miss catching fireflys and putting them in a jar to see how many we could catch. I miss the smell of burning leaves in the fall. I miss our neighbors coming to visit on a summers evening. The adults would set around and talk and us kids would run wild in the yard. No problems going to sleep that evening. What do you miss?

Philip Nulty and Bernieh like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My youth!! :D
    I miss all the family time ... we used to do all kinds of things together. We went skiing during the winter and went to all kinds of attractions. During the summer we went to the cottage for the whole summer. I don't miss the chores too much, but the rainy days playing board games and laughing and all the fun times.
    Life just seems to serious these days.

Bernieh likes this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I miss having our children around us. We did everything together and we had so much fun. There were no computers then so we played cards and board games in the evenings. I used to throw birthday parties for them and make specially shaped and decorated cakes. Now there's just Ian and I at home and I miss all the noise and bustle children create.

Bernieh likes this.
  5. Bernieh

Bernieh In Flower

I miss being able to climb the enormous old mulberry tree in my neighbour's yard. We used to climb up, perch on the huge old branches and just feast on the ripe mulberries! Our hands, tongues and mouths would be stained purple from the feast, but it was worth it.

We would then stroll around the neighbourhood and grab some ripe mangoes and feast on those. Every back yard had a mango tree, but there was only one mulberry tree. We just didn't know how lucky we were back then!

Advertisement
  6. CoolAsACucumber

CoolAsACucumber New Seed

The days seemed so long then.

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I miss playing soccer in the backyard. I miss how the summers seemed hotter back then. I miss the feeling of finishing the week's schooling on a Friday afternoon. I miss getting up early on a Saturday to watch cartoons. I miss having BUCKETS of energy!

8. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I grew up in a concrete and brick jungle where sounds were always in the background, on rare occasions it was quiet, a characteristic of the country environment I envied. Sitting around a radio in the evening the sounds faded away as the program exorcised your imagination. Today I still relish quiet, after all it is still a rare commodity. Even now as I type this an airplane passes overhead, someone is mowing their lawn, actually two mowers are running. Interestingly enough in a city factory environment after everyone had gone home, the quiet was only punctuated by a passing car. I think I miss quiet the most.

Jerry

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Yup I to miss playing games with my family. We would play, Monopoly, Pit, Connect Four, and other games that where fun and made you think. But most of all what I miss from my childhood is the fact that I had little or no responsibility for having to go too work everyday, prepare meals, doing laundry, grocery shopping, paying bills, ect. One could go outside and play all day. Come home to a good meal and then have your bath drawn for you because you where so grubby that your Mom would never let you climb into bed looking the way you did. Then if we had been good we would have a big bowl of popcorn on Sat. night after bath time. Maybe we would even get to stay up and watch Saturday Night at the Movies at 8:00p.m. :-D WoooHooo We really thought life was great when we were kids. :stew1: But life is still great. But in a whole new way. ;)

10. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I miss having sooo much energy! And I miss having people to climb trees with, and tell stories with, and ride bikes with...

11. supersweetmom

supersweetmom Seedling

I miss having boundless energy, being pain-free, and stress free. Ah, getting older has its joys too. I enjoy showing my toddler how to have a good time.... :)

12. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I miss my grandma :(

fatbaldguy likes this.
  13. calinromania

calinromania Young Pine

MMM... so much of what I read here is similar to what I miss. And the grandma, and the mulberry tree.
    I used to go to grandma's in a very small village all-through summer vacations. Had so much fun there. Barefoot in the dirt, scaring and being scared of geese, huge mulberry in a very old lady's yard, the smell of neighbor's baking bread (grandma didn't have an oven but she always baked something along), on occasions someone came to the local school with a film projector - and old films with Bud Spencer, and Indian movies, and Russian movies, and Chinese kung-fu movies were played on white bed sheets, and the really traditional weddings held in huge tents in yards or right in the street, with colorful flower patterned carpets on the "walls" and i was always trying hard not to fall asleep until it was time for cake (not wedding cake, but rather house cake, many kinds...)

So many things come to mind now that I don't know what to do. Smile or cry???

14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

I miss having sooooo much ahead of me to see in the world,..the urge to travel to far off places,..try out foods from other countries,,..now i find i have done most of what i wanted and have to invent things to do.

15. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

The feel of a squirrel gun on the shoulder and the sound of a dog at my heel.

The rattle of the weight on a pressure cooker.

Counting the calls of the Whipoorwill.

My grandpa and his everpresent cup of 'Old Crow' coffee.

Made up field hand songs.

Cranking the corn sheller and watching the bin fill.

Roosters crowing.

The smell of coal smoke on a cool morning.

The warmth of a new laid egg in my hand.

Feeling the tug of 'the big one' at the fishing hole.

Grandma Bernice's double crust apple pie with fresh churned butter on top.

So much more than I can type out.....

Thanks, this is a good thread Cap'n

16. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

It's simple...most of all...my four wonderful grandparents. I try to exhibit the best of all of them in my own grandparenting. I think of one or all of them every day.

stratsmom likes this.