What to do with broken rose stem?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by StarLiteFarms, May 24, 2007.

1. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

When I have a broken rose stem (usually a new growth stem) how do i get it to grow? I dont have any root hormone but dont want to just throw it out. The stem is about 1/2 inch thick and i think it was about to have a bud sprout at the top. Do i just stick it in the ground? Do i take leaves off? Do i cut the top part off? Please let me know. And, what about old growth stems? is it the same?

2. Loading...

3. daff

daff New Seed

If the rose is completely broken off from the parent plant there isn`t much you can do, the only thing you can do is put it in a vase, keep cutting a bit off the bottom of the stem every few days as roses tend to seal themselves so that water cannot be taken up the stem, that is why a lot of roses droop.

4. StarLiteFarms

StarLiteFarms Seedling

How do i get a plant to grow from a cutting then? I thought it was from 'new plant growth' ? Maybe im wrong and its old growth?

Thank you Daff for your help :)

5. bonsaiguy

bonsaiguy New Seed

it is called cloning, you need to get a rooting hormone, it can be gotten at walmart or home depot either one, but put it in a glass of it and every week or so check to see if it sealed up if so cut the tip off, eventually it'll grow some roots then you just plant it

6. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

If you want to propagate roses, the rooting hormones you get at walmart are more for soft wood cuttings & ornamentals. You'll have much better luck with something like Rhizopon #2 (available online). I had a lot of success with roses last year using the dry dip method. Here's a link that might explain it better:

http://www.rooting-hormones.com/drydip.htm

Edit: Actually I went outside to see the exact rooting hormone I'm using, and it's Hormodin2, probably the same stuff. Got mine through growersupply. I've had great luck with hardwood cuttings with it.