What To Do With Green Tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Daniel W, Nov 7, 2022.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Frost will be here soon. There are still lots of green tomatoes on the vine. I don't want them to go to waste, but not sure what to do with them.

Will they ripen indoors?

Are there good recipes for green tomatoes?

I tried frying them in the past, and didn't care for my result. Also, I have more relish (pickle) than I need.

Sjoerd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Most of mine ripened indoors, with the exception of a few spoils. I had a cardboard box, layered them with newspaper ( but not too deep of layers, just a couple) and put in a ripe banana and an apple. (Logan put me onto this - and the gasses from the apple and banana really sped up the ripening). I kept the box closed to keep the gasses in but not sealed tight, or kept the apple and banana under the layer of newspaper with the toms.

I tried using a tote at first but I had mold forming - there wasn't enough air flow.

The flavour of the tomatoes was fine, but perhaps not quite vine ripened. Other than sandwiches, most became sauce.

I have made green tomato salsa before ( in place of tomatillos) and it was okay. A little tart and spicy for me, but if I made it again I could tweak it to make up for that.

The last dozen or so that ripened went whole into a ziploc bag in the freezer. When I want a tomato for cooking, I run the frozen tomato under water, the peel splits and pops off, and then I can chop it while it is firm and into the pot it goes :)

Daniel W, Zigs and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Daniël, I hang them upside down—plant, toms , roots and all in my greenhouse. It works for me.

Daniel W, Zigs, Tetters and 1 other person like this.
  5. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

The green ones will only ripen once picked if they've got to a certain stage. Best way to describe it is a sort of transparentish green. If they're a solid non translucent green then they won't ripen if picked no matter how many ripe fruits you put with them.

I like Sjoerds idea of leaving them on the plant, that may help with the green ones, does it @Sjoerd ?

Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

try Caddo relish ! Its excellent for fish or as a relish with beans ect ! You can make it as spicy or as mild as you wish !

Zigs, Daniel W and Melody Mc. like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yes Zigs. A couple of the pure green ones only make it to a dark orange instead of red; however, the flavour was as it should be.
    I have noticed that the earlier one begins at the seasons’ end, the quicker and better the result will be.
    This technique is primarily for the green ones, the ones that already a bit of colour turn out almost perfectly.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2022
    Zigs and Daniel W like this.
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This looks good Mart. :)

Daniel W likes this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I found the only green tomatoes that haven't ripened for me over the years were the small hard ones that were only good for playing marbles with. ( which is absolutely no fun when there is no one to play with). Anything larger ripened indoors.

Temperature has always dictated when my Toms come in, which I think is what you are looking at Daniel, if I'm not mistaken. Below a certain temp they will sit forever green it seems. I used to always put them in the old trays from apple boxes ( the purple ones with individual indents?) - and the indoor ripening process took some time. A warmer room and the fruit added to the toms sped my indoor ripening considerably. ( minus the withered green marbles....but Hey! I'm the eternal optomist and everyone deserves a shake :) )

I would love to be able to try what Sjoerd does on the vine...I think vine ripened would always be far superior.

You do have that sunroom you mention from time to time.....:)

Zigs, Sjoerd and Daniel W like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Thanks for all the great advice!
    I looked at the plants today but wasn't up to picking. Not sure which approach I'll take. I better do it soon!

Zigs and Sjoerd like this.