What to do with the blackberry & raspberry plant that are not planted in the ground yet by Fall?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Crystal, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Crystal

Crystal New Seed

Story of my life with 2 little kids:
    Back in June, my 4-years old has a grant idea to plant a veggie/fruit garden! Being the only person who really did the planting, I only managed to plant most of the stuffs she wanted. The poor blackberry and raspberry plants have been sitting at the "ideal" spot but not planted in the ground.
    Fast forward to today, I look at the poor plants and have absolutely NO idea if I should even try to plant them now in the ground or not~~ My sister said that maybe i should bring them in the house to keep them alive for the winter (our house doesn't have a good sunlight spot)...

Would anyone here give me some advice?

Thank you SO much!!!

attaching picture of tonight's "harvest" from "my daughter's" veggie garden :) :)

Attached Files:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I'd plant and mulch. I am guessing they were in pots since they are still alive. You may need to tickle their roots because they are most likely pot bound. The plants will be going dormant soon (loosing their leaves) but root growth continues throughout the year while temperatures are above freezing. With adequate water they should do fine. Fall watering is often important for fall planted plants if there hasn't been rain. Good luck.

Great food crop by the way

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I agree with Jewell. Personally, I would plant them in October. Use some mycorrhiza fungi on the roots if you can find some there. The roots will have time to grow and establish before spring this way.
    It is a nice wish to have these two plant types, but they do require sun. I hope your selected location will work out for you. I grew these plants in partial shade and they did fine.

5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I agree with Jewell and Sjoerd. Plant them soon.
    Also, welcome to the forum!

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just get them in the ground,,they will do fine. I would not fertilize till growth begins in the spring. Tell your daughter she has beaten me,, I have been trying to get fall cukes and failed miserably. No problem in the spring but fall is a no-go.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

yep, just plant them. do not try to bring them inside that for sure will be the death of them... unless you have a greenhouse or high tunnel.

Philip Nulty likes this.