What to do?

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Ronni, Sep 25, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

BDE52B2B-1AAE-43F8-93D4-B062443C2A0F.jpeg

4AC07772-1D02-401F-8EC6-9A22731E6540.jpeg

1D85BA0E-47BF-4769-8F28-4B72DF9526EF.jpeg

Hey I love having all these plants on the porch!! It’s going to look so bare out here when I have to move them all inside for the winter.

Couple questions for all you knowledgeable folks. I don’t have a lot of available windows as decentLight sources for the plants to overwinter inside. What do you think about grow lights?

And suggestions for how to liven up the porch/make it look less bare once I move all the plants. On all but the coldest of days we sit out here morning and evening before and after work chatting and sipping coffee or wine.

Logan, Growingpains and Frank like this.
  2. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

To start the thought ball rolling, you mentioned grow lights. Most large grow light systems are hung horizontally with the plants below on a horizontal surface. Few lighting configurations take advantage of the wasted vertical space. You have several hanging plants that could take advantage of this type of organization. Small plants usually spaced horizontally could be creatively arranged in this manner at least for the winter. Wire coat hangers, hooks and some wood along with a little creativity could go a long way to make a vertical winter home for plants.

Just an different thought,

Jerry

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

There are spotlight type grow lights too.

Growingpains and Ronni like this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronnie, I use grow lights year round....the simple tube fourescent ones as well as the spot light types. Plants do well with them

Growingpains and Ronni like this.

Advertisement
  5. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks guys for your input! :like:

Would plain fluorescent bulbs work as grow
    Lights or do I need to invest in grow lights proper. I mean what’s the difference?

Growingpains likes this.
  6. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Ronnie, I use both. Grow lights are more expensive, so I do half and half.

Growingpains likes this.
  7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

@Jerry Sullivan I went looking for ideas and images online after your post! Some fascinating configurations out there...some of which are so complicated and intricate that I’d need an entire room to devote to the construction of the system! Still, I got some tips and tricks that might come in handy, so thanks!

Ron and I have talked about this a fair bit. We were considering rigging lights under these laundry room cabinets to start. It would be a pretty simple project for him and would give me a lot of space to put both my small and medium height plants plants given the configuration of the shelves. What do you think?
    46108856-233A-44C7-AB17-0FBA8EFFFD40.jpeg

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

Try a larger more colorful rug that compliments the chair color !!

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

The cabinets look great, assuming the plants don't grow too tall.

My mate built a rectangular bench with a Gro light across the top. He put hooks at different levels to accomodate the plants as they grow. He bought the light a few years ago and it cost in the vicinity of $10.00. I only use it a month or two in Spring to get seedlings ready for the garden.
    Your guy might find a bench!

Jewell and Ronni like this.
  10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Clearly you read my other thread about the stool!! :D

Was your grow light one of those spotlight things?

We're going to need the rectangular box type to go under the cabinets. And yes, I'd thought about the plants growing too tall, and if that happens I'll just have to come up with something else. Thankfully Ron is a very handy type, so he can build whatever I need.....that is if we don't manage to score another "rare find!!" ;)

Cayuga Morning and Growingpains like this.
  11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Our Gro light is like the long fluorescent type. The bench is where the plants sit. The light can be lowered about 4 times. We begin a few inches above the seeded soil, raising it to the next level when the tiny plants pop up, and up again and again as they grow. When they;re ready to be hardened off, the light is turned off and the bench is used for storing distilled water. It holds a dozen gallon bottles, so that tells you about the size.

12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I too have a bit of a problem come fall (now) when I have to bring everything and everybody inside. I do seem to manage rotating them in and out of window space (week or two on and then week or two off) and rotating them through the winter means they don't really grow well but they don't die. "Maintenance" is what I'm going for. I also try for plants that like 'low light' so it isn't as difficult on them (and me) when I have to bring them inside.

I've never tried a grow light but if you do please let us know how it goes for you.

13. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    For livening up your porch once the house plants are taken inside, you might think about using evergreen boughs in large vases. I uses them for dressing up outside areas. They keep very well for extended periods of time when the weather is cool.

14. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

To jazz and snazz your porch for winter I'd go with a bright area rug and cushions on the chairs. You can still hang wind chimes of various colours in the spaces the plants were hung to brighten the area too. Wall hanginging in bright colours will also work throughout the year and concrete paint now comes in various colours which would take the dull grey off your carport floor.