What's Happening On The Afsluit Dike?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jul 30, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I will give the answer later, if no one figures it out.

eileen likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi sjoerd. I do know of this stretch of road having visited Holland and it is a wonderful engineering achievement connecting the two parts of the land (Provinces?) as it does. But then the Dutch have "drainage" off to a very fine art. Was it not a Dutchman that sorted out the Fens drainage here back in the 18th century - Vermuyden ??.
    No idea of whats happening in your video except it looks like either a blizzard or smoke.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2016
    Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Is it a pestilence of insects?
    BTW I just googled the Afsluit Dike. Amazing! And beautiful. I also just googled the difference between Holland, the Netherlands, the Dutch. Who knew? You guys do confusing well!

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

It is a swarm of mosquitoes. Sure glad I wasn't there!

Sjoerd likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for your comments, SYD.

CAYU--Yeah, we do confusing well alright...where do you think the term, "double-Dutch" comes from. hahaha.

!00% correct CRISLE. They are the green Mozzis. They do not bite but swarm in their millions every July on the dikes. We have a joke here---How do you when a motorcyclist came across a dike?
    ---You can tell by all the green mozzies on his teeth.

Actually though there are so many that they can cause overheating probs for auto's because they impede up the cooling process, as they cake onto the radiator/radiator screens.

It is an amazing phenomenon to see.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh gross!! I could deal with a pestilence of insects easier than a swarm of mosquitoes, no matter if they bite or not. (Actually, the video is really cool). Do birds descend upon them to feast?
    And, where were they/what did they do before you all built that dike?

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi sjoerd. The times I have been to Holland happily I did not meet them. I do still get confused myself with the Friesland Holland connection - are they part & parcel or seperate?. Please explain..
    I did mention the Fens here and Vermuyden in my last post to you. Just for interest this and thinking of that swarm of green mossies - in the Fens they get what are known as "Fen Blows" and the drained land being very "peaty" a strong wind can get up and strip the soil surface off the fields in a massive cloud like the green Mossies - result surface of one field now in the next or worse.

Sjoerd likes this.
  9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well all I can say is I'm so glad they weren't there when we visited!! If/when we next come over it'll be either June or August that's for sure.

Sjoerd likes this.
  10. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

We have something very similar called midges and they live along the Klamath Lake. Their life cycle is extremely short but while they are alive they make driving dangerous because they get smeared all over the windshield and headlights :mad:

Sjoerd likes this.
  11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Oh yuck! glad I was not there. AKA: Places I DON'T want to be....

Sjoerd likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAYU--Yes, birds do eat them...but you can only eat so many.They were in fields and on other dikes.

SYD--Friesland is a province in the Netherlands. Yes, you did mention that. I had no idea that a Dutch chap went over there to help with the draining of your fens. I have never heard of fen blows here. As far as I know, there is no such phenomenon.
    Here what you call a fen is what we would call a moeras. A ven refers to an undeep pool, or perhaps a small lake.

The peat that you speak of: the Dutch word is veen. The Frisian word is fean.
    Sufficiently confusing, yes?

No worries, EILEEN--we'll avoid them.

STRATS--I believe that the Brits call them midges too...but, the non-biting type.

Heh, heh, heh--CAROLYN. I can understand that; however, it is remarkable to witness.

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi sjoerd. Ref Friesland thanks for that. I had a good look at the Maps to see positioning of it all but was getting confused with proximity of the German border - you will understand.
    We have loved every one of our visits to Holland and visited many of the Towns there - liked them all. Wonderful buildings - museums - art - the canals - shops - Botanical Gardens etc. All this over and above the actual countryside itself. Did plenty of bike riding also and must make a special mention of those absolutely brilliant Flower Markets - there is a lovely one in Utrecht Saturday mornings. Family live near to the Queen Wilhemina Park - wonderful area and the Trees wow - many really cracking specimens.
    Eileen. May I ask which part/s of Holland you go to on your visits pse.
    Syd.

Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Raddang

Raddang In Flower

A most interesting thread this has become Sjoerd :like: Although quite well travelled we have never been to Holland, or is it The Netherlands ;) and we have obviously missed out. Reading yours and Syds comments, it would seem most likely that our word 'Fen' could well have derived from your word 'fean'. Interesting stuff :like: And as a PS, I also really enjoyed your recent account of your short trip to Arnhem and beyond.....

Sjoerd likes this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

SYD-- It gladdens me to read that you liked your experiences here in my country. Utrecht is an interesting city indeed. I went to visit their botanical garden a few years ago. Ah yes...and the flower markets--they ARE good. I like them as well, in fact the one in A'dam is a floating one and has a great choice, although I would not really recommend it to tourists because of the prices and in the past they have sold things that do not exist...like a sky-blue Amaryllis. It is lovely to visit though and if one wants cut flowers, then that is as good a place as any to buy them. There are little interesting cafe's to eat at there and a Chinese shop where I buy my garden mugs and the bride buys housecoats and house shoes. hahaha. It sounds crazy, but it is a very interesting little shop situated below street level.

RADDANG--It is the Netherlands. There are only two "Holland's", and they are provinces--North Holland and South Holland. It is a technical bit of trivia...but if you want to be correct those are the facts. Well mate, I don't know if you and your bride missed out by not coming here, but if you ever do visit the Netherlands, then you will know for sure. This flat country may not be for everyone.

In terms of the language--there are certainly some similarities in meaning, spelling and pronunciation. Some pronunciations are opposite which is curious to me...I can't imagine why. Ach, but that is another subject. I will say that I was watching a show on the BBC last night, or the night before called "Shetland". I noticed that one of the old characters who was a fisherman spoke in a dialect, I believe...and there were some words that were very similar to Dutch. I have noticed that before though when speaking to some Scots. I also attended a presentation one evening years ago concerning Robert Burns and his written works. When I heard the gentleman read some of those excerpts, I almost thought it was a dialect of Dutch. Amazing stuff.

16. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi sjoerd. I meant every word I said about Holland - I like to use that name - to me it sounds more typically "Dutch" than The Netherlands. Whilst visiting family in Utrecht we got about a lot and have "done" most of the Towns & A'dam.
    I can only again repeat I found it all great and the folks superb.
    Everything is there as we are saying - there is even in Utrecht a couple of UK style pubs. One at the back of the Queen Wilhemina Park and the other bigger one in the High Street - "The Florin & Firkin" which is done out in typically Old English style - can get a good meal prepared while you wait also - had some great evenings - both do UK beers as well as the "home" brands.
    We also twice visited the Utrecht Botanical gardens and what about that Rock Garden area?. Super Cathedral which also has an "olde worlde" medicinal plants garden ( this just one of many Cathedrals/Churches - love also that at Delft) A steam railway with museum - it goes on and on.
    Had so many very happy hours wandering around it all wherever including taking in the shops - theres so many of all types - found some great books and "china" items in them and at "flea markets" - very popular with folk.. Must also mention the many different styles of buildings/houses (a lot very old) there is to see.
    For provisions not to forget good old Albert Heijn's - always a good display and variety of food stuffs etc.
    Could go on forever as we found it all wonderful - would be more than happy to live in Holland - nuff said.. Son & family have lived in Utrecht for 25 years now.
    Best wishes. Syd.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2016