What's this on my orchid?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Ronni, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

See that tiny little node right there at the base of the leaves just above the roots?
    [​IMG]

Here's another picture from a different angle.
    [​IMG]

I've never seen anything like this on any of my rescued orchids. I'm sure it's not a leaf...they typically erupt from the center of the stalk. Or if it IS a leaf, it's not like anything I've seen any of my new orchid leaves do.

Any ideas?

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

How about an adventitious root? Interesting because mine is doing the same thing. I will have to take a picture. I usually don't do orchids but our local grocery store had them on sale at the now infamous aisle 20. I poked through the ailing plants, found two and they flowered for a long time, the weakest one died but the healthy one is alive and well. :) this picture shows two adventitious roots. Unless they turn into flower stalks. :) :) In which case I may go hunting for more bargains. Ahh!! I have my camera…….click…..process…..download…..

[​IMG]
    Orchid stuff ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Epiphytes are an interesting category of plants, they provide a vast array of structures as they cling to their home on another plant.

Jerry

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh! Lookit Jerry, we have twins! I wonder if they're long lost siblings, separated at birth, who are now pining for their other half? ;)

5. Jerry Sullivan

Posted in our minds and somewhere on the Stew is a story and pictures of a fire that happened at a huge growing nursery, somewhere in the midwest(I think). Maybe Carolyn knows. Someone will remember……anyway, I saw a news article about the nursery and shown was a greenhouse with THOUSANDS of orchids just like ours. Talk about a epiphyte factory….it is quite possible that they came from the same nursery. Mine was on a winter vacation with about 70 other houseplants in the basement. It is now on the kitchen window sill and as long as the tomato plant does not scare the bejeebers out of it, it will enjoy the change of scenery.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

O.K. I found the nursery, it is Green Circle Growers in Oberlin, Ohio. I have to up the number of orchids growing there to a at least a half a gazillion.

Jerry

carolyn likes this.
  7. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Looks like a new root forming....the plant is happy, don't worry about covering it.

PS. keep it safe distance from the asparagus fern,
    what a tragedy that could be!

purpleinopp likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Just imagine that it is a bloom stem. Wouldn't that be something.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I was going to say... Green Circle growers. Not too far from our house. We were there last year right before they had the big fire, but I don't think the orchid house was affected by the event. I think they are the largest orchid grower in the US. Not 100% certain, but I think that is what I heard.

10. Jerry Sullivan

??? you have peaked my interest…. what is the reason to keep them apart?

Jerry

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Well Jerry, IF this is anything like my rabbit hutch situation.....A lot could be ...uhhhh happening...I have 9 little situations to take care of , but my oh my are they cute.

12. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Jerry...haven't you been reading Ronni's topic about 'the continuing saga of the asparagus fern'?

She has even posted photos of the rogue plant. :rolleyes:

13. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

They're in different parts of the house. Though at the rate those fern tentacles are growing, it won't be long before they're snaking out the door heading straight for the Orchid. :eek:

14. Jerry Sullivan

I have been busy trying to teach myself CSS/CSS3 and missed the asparagus fern episode otherwise this would have shown up earlier. :oops:

This is where we all gather around, hold hands, a trumpet sounds and the lights dim as a crystal ball glow with images of plants past.

A distant memory of a plant emerges from my dust ladened botanical archive. I see a hacksaw, a pot bound plant gone wild and a very messy floor.

Someone at work gave me a plant, an asparagus fern as I remember. The variety eludes me though I have seen pictures of the plant on websites. It was hanging up over a bookcase and they did not like the way it shed needles. They asked if I wanted it. Never wanting to pass up a free plant I said yes and took it home. I trimmed the offending appendages and kept it happy for awhile then it started to come out of the pot. This would not do I said to myself, as I was not married at the time. I sought out advice from a plant expert…..almost anyone with more than three plants qualified. The next day, armed with a hacksaw, three pots and a bag of potting soil I attacked the plant. The plant had never seen a hacksaw and didn't know what to do. The plants dense roots could not be separated by hand, so I sawed the plant into four quarters and repotted each section into a new/old pot with new soil. I gave two away and kept two. The mess was now under control. I eventually gave them away during a move, glad to not repeat the episode with the hacksaw. They were not a good plant for an apartment. I compensated by buying a cut leaf philodendron and a cactus. 40 years later I still have both. They are not messy, though the cactus did attack Joyce. That story rattles around as a post in the Stew archives somewhere, careful, it has thorns. :)

Back to CSS lessons,

Jerry

15. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Jerry, that was fabulous!

What an entertaining read. :stew2: I am amazed you still have the philodendron and the cactus after 40 years! Very impressive.

And now to confess something....I could just go look it up, but you're right here and you're a forgiving lot. ;)

How do you pronounce philodendron? Do those first two syllables sound like FYLO or FEELO? And where is the accent on the word, which syllables?

Also I know I get that plant confused with another one....a very common houseplant whose several syllable name mostly gets shortened to one or two....and for the life of me I can't think of it now! Gggrrrr! Don't you hate those senior moments! :oops:

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

P.S. What's CSS?