Whats wrong with my Camellia?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Mrs Smith, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Mrs Smith

Mrs Smith New Seed

Okay, so this Camellia Japonica (variety unknown) has been looking sick since spring, leaves turning yellow and looking generally under the weather. I have taken a photo of the worst affected leaves and would be really grateful if anyone had a suggestion of what could be ailing it.
    I have tried a liquid ericaceous feed and the japonica next to it looks just fine.

[​IMG]
    Affected plant on left ( photo / image / picture from Mrs Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Camellia Japonica ( photo / image / picture from Mrs Smith's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never heard of liquid ericacious fertilizer...not sure what that is, but it looks like a fungal problem more than an insect issue. I have no idea what the problem really is, the yellow leaf does NOT look like spidermite damage, which would have been my first guess, but that isn't it, but the rusty looking spots would more likely be something pathogenic. Maybe try something like neem oil. Read the directions carefully and spray according to the directions if the label lists this plant, which I am sure it isn't a problem for an ornamental. Neem also acts as an insecticide, so if there is an insect issue going on it should help with that, too.

4. Mrs Smith

Mrs Smith New Seed

Thanks for your answer, I shall look into using Neem Oil.
    Liquid Ericaceous feed is just feed for acid loving plants like Camellia and Rhododendrons. I use liquid feed when something looks down as it gets the nutrients in so much quicker than pellets.

5. kate

kate In Flower

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Mrs. Smith, did you check the Ph of the soil where this plant is at? I know the other one is not far away, but the Ph can be different in that distance. You might want to try that, too. The optimal Ph for them is 4.5 -6.5, in case you need to know it precisely.