What's wrong with my pitcher plants?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by FlowerFreak22, Nov 28, 2010.

1. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

Ok I have two different species a Nepenthes alata and a Nepenthes miranda. The alata looks ok with a few leaves turning brown, but they are old leaves near the base of the plant. The miranda does not look ok at all. A good number of it's leaves are turning brown even the new ones. The new ones also look very droopy. Could this be over watering or root rot? Neither of the plants has any pitchers or is producing any and I have no idea why. I have the humidity in the room at least 65% to the point where dew forms on the windows at night. So I know that can't be why they are not producing any pitchers. The air is not stagnant and I mist them every now and then. I water them with distilled water. They also get bright indirect sunlight. Everything I have read says that I am doing things correctly unless I have missed something. They are both very beautiful plants with striking pitchers...if they had any. I don't want them to die and any help would be very much appreciated.

2. Loading...

3. Bodhi

Bodhi Seedling

Hi Jon,
    i know this post is a few months back, but it caught my eye because I just ordered some seed to a variety of pitcher. (S. psittacina) I was searching for information on it and found this link to be a guide i will use when planting mine. It seems simple and straightforward. From what I read there, most are supposed to die back naturally during fall season. They also mention light requirements.
    http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq5552.html
    meanwhile, I know who to ask if and when I have a question. ;)
    How did things turn out with it, btw?
    Did you start from seed, or already had plant?