Whats your best - Soup Recipes

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Danjensen, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Well, Its cold outside a nice light sprinkling of snow on the ground. And I'm thinking some homemade soup and crusty bread will be perfect for dinner.

Now I pride myself on being a good cook. But soup has never been something I have really cooked. So although i know i can make a soup. I'm looking for a great soup recipe.

Thanks All

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I didn't know you made soup from a recipe. dr has bought me a few soup cookbooks but I don't think I have ever followed a recipe from one of them. Just start tossing things in the soup pot until it's full and let it cook. Sometimes it turns out great and sometimes not but it's never the same twice. dooley

4. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I agree with dooley, never followed an actual recipe for soup, even when I do look at a recipe I always tweak it according to my cooking methods. I am making a veggie beef soup today. I took a chuck roast and cut it into big chunks, will let it boil for a couple of hours, put onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic and a can of tomatoes, let that cook down a while, add carrot, potatoes, cook for about another half hours, then add different veggies according to their cook time, soem corn lima beans, what ever you like. I will put okra and a handful of orzo or other small pasta, and it's soup.

Here is one I kinda follow, but as I said I do it according to my cooking method, but it's delicious:

OLIVE GARDEN ZUPPA TOSCANA

1 lb ground Italian sausage
    1½ tsp crushed red peppers
    1 large diced white onion
    4 tbsp bacon pieces
    2 tsp garlic puree
    10 cups water
    5 cubes of chicken bouillon
    1 cup heavy cream
    1 lb sliced russet potatoes, or about 3 large potatoes
    ¼ of a bunch of kale

Sautee Italian sausage and crushed red pepper in pot. Drain excess fat, refrigerate while you prepare other ingredients. In the same pan, sautee bacon, onions and garlic for approxiamtly 15 mins. or until the onions are soft. Mix together the chicken bouillon and water, then add it to the onions, bacon and garlic. Cook until boilin Add potatoes and cook until soft, about half an hour. Add heavy cream and cook until thoughouly heated. Stir in the sausage. Add kale just before serving. Delicious!

Unless you like your food really spicy omit the crushed red pepper, or cut down on it. I used a teaspoon and it was too hot for Sarah and I could really tell it was in there. Next time I will only use a little less than a half teaspoon, for the flavor not the heat.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Advertisement
  6. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

mmm that sounds good cajun, I think i might get some chuck meat out of the freezer and try that.

Although for a moment I thought you were going to suggest a vegetarian beef soup :eek:

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I make Mother Hubbard's soup -- whatever is left in the cupboard! Like Dooley said-- it's never the same. I made some yesterday, just finished a big bowl andit was goooood.

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Scottish Broth

Ingredients:

2 oz Butter
    4-5 Medium Carrots (half diced and half grated)
    2 Large Onion (chopped)
    1 medium sized swede (half dices and half grated)
    1 leek (chopped)
    1 & 1/2 pts vegetable or meat stock
    2 level tablesspoon pearl barley (well washed) or broth mix.
    salt and pepper

Method:
    Melt the butter in the pan. Add all the vegetables. Cover with a lid and allow to sweat gently, ensuring the pan is shaken to coat the vegetables with butter. After about 5 minutes pour in stock. Then add the barley and bring to boil.
    Season as required then reduce the heat and simmer for approx 1 to 1 & 1/2 hours until barley is completely soft.

Serve with hot rolls or bread.

9. HomeLoverSue

HomeLoverSue New Seed

I created this soup on the fly... it's a curried ginger sweet potato soup. So delicious, and healthy as well :) Link: Curried Ginger Sweet Potato Soup

Cajunbelle-- I used that recipe once, as I love Olive Garden's, and it was FANTASTIC. I would certainly recommend it as well. Though it's not the *healthiest* soup in the world, it's sooooo good :stew2:

10. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I make a delicious barley and broccoli soup that is so good with a nice loaf of bread on a cold day!
    PM me if you want a recipe!

11. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

eileen, i love scottish broth! what's 'swede'?

i make soups out of leftovers a lot. there's a tasty winter squash soup with winter squash combined with herbs and butter and milk and sausage and macaroni (pasta).

12. HomeLoverSue

HomeLoverSue New Seed

Bunkie--

Soups made from leftovers are the best! I love to do that when I make potroast. So easy to just throw everything in some beef broth and add some pasta :)

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A Swede is a Rutabaga.

14. slcdms

slcdms Seedling

I have a nice hearty soup that is quick and easy

1 box of Au Gratin potatoes
    1 can of Ro-Tel
    1 pound of Velvetta cheese

Add enough water to cook the potatoes , do not add the Au Gratin mix yet.
    When the potatoes are soft add the Au gratin mix and the Ro-tel, dice up the Velvetta cheese and sit it in to melt. You can keep this in a slow cooker on warm if you wish. It is great
    Sandra

15. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

thanks toni!

another heaarty soup i make is made with homemade meat spaghetti sauce diluted with broth and lots of veggies added, like carrots, green beans, onions, tomatoes, etc... also can add herbs...simple and quick.