What's Your Favorite CONTAINER grown vegetable?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by muddypaws, Oct 9, 2011.

1. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Over the coming winter I want to get a good list going of good container grown vege types so I can get my seed supply stocked. I want to have them grown on my deck which gets a lot of sun.

What's your favorite vege to grow in containers; name and size of container you used would really help me!!

Thanks all!

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have only grown a few things in container. I have not had the expected results that the seed suppliers claim for how bountiful the plant will be. We grew Containers Choice, in a 4 gallon pot ( this is just a little less than a 5 gallon bucket, so you have an idea what this would measure), for a tomato for the last two years. I sold them all with fruit on them. I have never had anyone complain about them, other than they don't get nearly as many as a garden plant. I really think they are more of a novelty than an actual harvestable plant. I, myself, am not convinced that they are worth the effort, unless you have no other option for a garden. :-? If you are expecting enough to use for a canning project or even enough for supper (for a family) I think you would be disappointed with the results. They are HIGH maintenance, You MUST be there to water them several times a day during the hot part of the summer. Anytime they wilt you are stressing the plant enough to drop the fruit or you are fighting blossom end rot to get a decent fruit. I have seen a few new varieties advertised as container crops in a few trade mags, but as they are new, I have no idea what they will be like as a container crop.

Sorry, this may not be what you are looking for, but I want to be honest in what my experience has been so far. Potting mix, fertilizer and large containers can be quite an investment for the return on the effort and produce. :-?

4. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Carolyn - Thanks for the info. My yard has a lot of shade at this point. I'll be taking down some of the trees in the future.

Anyway, I'm more interested in getting some good experience with growing veges, as I haven't done a lot of it. Containers is my only option right now.

I know what you mean about the expense. I stocked up on potting soil for all those containers and wow, the cost. But if I'm going to learn, I want to be successful. I imagine I can use the same potting soil a second year by just freshening it up?

anyway, thanks for all the info.
    muddypaws
    :)

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I do recycle the potting mix, UNLESS there has been disease in the plant. You don't want to re infect next years crop with a virus of some kind. Make sure your containers are of goodly size. A 5 gallon bucket is NOT big enough. Use something such as those large totes that are for storage (like 20 gallon size). the roots really need to be able to grow in order to support the plant. Is your patio a brick patio or a raised patio? If it is brick you could remove a few of the pavers and set your container right on the ground and make sure the bottom of it has several large holes that the roots can go through and grow underneath the pavers, which would give your plants quite a bit more space to grow.

If you look at edlou's blog, you can see the size of his container and, I think, he had a hard time getting any size of quantity of toms off of the plants. I know the weather didn't help, but container gardening must be an art, if you are going to be able to harvest the quantities that the producers pictures IMPLY you will get. I have gardened for a long time and worked in a greenhouse... I have never been able to get my plants to look like the ones on the seed packets :eek: Which translated to me, MUCH spraying and chemical fertilizers for the advertised results.

Good Luck, anyhow. Here are a few of the varieties in this years seed catalog that they say are ok for container gardening.

Pepper:pompeii, an orange dwarf variety "perfect for hanging baskets, pots and containers"
    Gourmet: brilliant orange "ideal for patio containers, home gardens and greenhouses"
    Tomatoes:Sweet and neat series: red and yellow...cherry
    Red Robin....cherry
    Tumbling tom: red and yellow...cherry
    Bush champion 11 hybrid VFFASt Determinate approx 6-12 oz fruit
    Better Bush Hybrid VFN "if you love container gardening, definitely try this one" But it is 48" tall so you would have to plan n staking this one.
    Bush early girl Hy VFFNT "A full 4" in diameter"
    Patio FaSt 4oz."perfect for container gardening"
    Eggplant: Ophelia Hybrid
    Fairy Tale hybrid
    Most herbs should well also. If you like cilantro, seed this often as it bolts quickly. Pull it as soon as it starts to develop the blossoms if desired. it does make a great benificial insect plant and the flowers are edible.

Cucumbers: Iznik Hybrid

I am sure there are many more to choose from, these are just what I have close at hand for advertised as patio/container gardening.

muddypaws likes this.

Advertisement
  6. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Thank you SO much for all the info. I've got the winter to study everything I think I'll need. I might as well try it out for myself. I appreciate all the time you took in giving me a full response!
    Muddy paws

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

You are welcome. Good luck next season.

8. weeds n seeds

weeds n seeds Seedling

Happen to have some container sizes for veggies that might help you out: Beans can be grown in a 5 gallon window box. Cukes: 1 plant per 1 gallon pot, or 2-3 per 5 gallon pot. Spinach: a 2 gallon pot. Swiss chard: 1/2 gallon pot. Summer squash/zuchinni: 1 plant per 2 gallon pot. Winter squash (or eggplant): 1 plant per 3 gallon pot. Garlic: 1 plant per 8 inch container. Tomatoes: 1 plant per 5 gallon pot..use nothing smaller! Peppers: 2 plants per 5 gallon pot. (A 5 gallon container is usually 12 inches by 12 inches, look on bottoms of containers for dimensions and it's better to go a bit OVERSIZED then under for container planting.) Many catalogues now have sections devoted to just seeds suitable for container growing because of smaller growth patterns, some can also be found in local stores in their nursury departments when they put seeds out in the spring. (Wal Mart is supplied by Ferry Morse: if you want a lovely, high-producing tomato look for their "Patio Hybrid". Doesn't get very tall; has dark green, leathery leaves; will produce as many as 30! tennis ball-sized fruit per plant..you will have to start these yourself). Container soil does "wear out" so it's highly adviseable to replenish it every year with special soil boosters, also add some pelleted time-released fertilizers to it when planting already started crops. If starting from seed in containers, DO NOT fertilize until plants appear, then side dress with the product, work it into the soil a bit to activate it. Compost; dried leaves; kelp or alfalfa meal are great beneficial additives for container soils to "perk 'em up" also. I totally grow in containers, raised beds and Earth Boxs; have found that knowing a plants' root system (space needed; depth they grow) is THE secret to success there as is keeping up the necessary soil factor each season. Actually, anything can be used to grow in if SIZE is right and it has proper drainage; and you CAN grow ANYTHING in containers with excellant luck..just don't be afraid to TRY!

muddypaws likes this.
  9. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Thank you SO much for all the info - and especially the motivation. I figure the best way to achieve success is to get as much good info as I can before I start.

Thanks again!
    Susan
    muddypaws

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

My fav for containers is pickling cucumbers. We use a huge pot. I really don't know the size, but its as large as the containers with the rope handles. We had lots of cukes from our's last year. This year is yet to say. We do change the soil each year.
    I imagine you're well on your way by now.