What's your favorite local eats?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Tooty2shoes, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Not sure if anyone has asked this before. But here it goes. One of my favorite local eat's is to have Bratwurst cooked out on the grill. A lot of folks have never heard of them, much less tasted these wonderful big sausages. Then you have a garden salad, baked beans, and of course a good locally brewed beer.
    My second favorite local eat's is to go out on Friday night for our yummy local fish fry. You order either deep fried perch, pan or deep fried Walleye, or, all you can eat deep fried Cod. With your fish you can choose either potato salad, baked potato, boiled baby red potatoes, or our fav-oven browned potatoes with broiled onions mixed in. :drool: Then you can have a salad or coleslaw also. Excuse me I had to wipe off the screen as I was drooling.
    So what are some of your local favorite eat's? ;)

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Catdaddy6676
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Frank
      Replies:
      Views:

3. luvdirtyhands1

luvdirtyhands1 Seedling

My fave local eat is El Norte mexican restaurant( love their seafood enchilada) & the little diner around the corner from my house, where everybody knows everybody & they serve the most awesome rib-eye cheesesteak sandwich!

Sjoerd and Tooty2shoes like this.
  4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Cedar plank smoked/grilled fresh salmon with Indian pan bread and baby veggies. Yep! Drooling ! :-D

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Casa Del Rio...the local Mexican restaurant....The best in food and service. We know them by name and we get hugs from some of them. YUM YUM MMMMMM!!!! I think we spend as much there as on groceries sometimes in a week :rolleyes: It is the one place we all agree on going to. :D

Tooty2shoes likes this.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The Pink Turban Indian Restaurant. They do buffet meals where you can eat as much as you like. Their prices are very reasonable and their food is great. You even get a 20% off voucher to use when you next visit them. I simply love their buttered chicken and their kormas.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

It only happens once a year, but when the Methodist Church holds its fund-raiser barbecue, I'm the first in line! Smoked brisket, great cole slaw, and if I ever find out how they fix their beans, I'm going to patent their method.
    The Lutherans have a barbecue that's pretty good, but for some reason they include noodles, which are gummy and awful (although the chickens like them).
    We don't have a decent restaurant within 50 miles, so we don't eat out often.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Boy everyone making me hungry. I like wall-eye on Friday Night.Small cafe in Belle Plaine Iowa -Lincoln has all you can eat.Waiting line. Seat about 150 people.
    But in Fall our Methodist Church Fall Dinner,Oven baked steak,scallop spuds, home grown corn cole slaw.Many pie all home made- like sour cream raisin.mince meat. Coconut cream. I made 3 peanut butter cream-young kids loved them
    Thursday night Methodist having Chili Contest. Will make it tonight.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Luv-I like mexican when it is really athentic and your little diner sound so quaint. I love being apart of a community like that. Do they ship those yummy cheese steak sandwichs?

Jewell-my hubby would be drooling over that salmon. We try and eat fresh caught when ever possible. Yum!

Carolyn you not only get your tummy filled but you also get hug therapy as well. Food for the soul as well as the body. Sound like a great place to go.

Eileen I love the name and the food sounds sooo good. I love Indian food. Especially anything curry.
    And all you can eat to boot. Drool, Drool.

Marlingardener-maybe you should start up a little restaurant in your area. But those church dinners are really great. Especially all the different deserts they usually have.

Koszta-yup walleye is really yummy. I love all you can eat meals. But my waist line doesn't like them. :D Again. :stew1: those church suppers are really yummy.

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Favorite place depends on what we are craving at the time.

Tex-Mex would be Ojeda's, great food and service. We have been going there for 34 years. It's where Randy took me for lunch on our first though unofficial date, March 1978. We go back there every year on our anniversary and a few other times during the year.

Flying Fish has fantastic Fried Catfish and other seafood but I go for the Catfish and fries. If you take in one of the wall hanging singing Billy Bass things, you get a free meal. When we find one for a couple of dollars at a thrift store we get it for the next time we want Catfish. ;)

For breakfast it's J's Breakfast and Burgers...there burgers are good too. Everything is cooked perfectly and all the waitresses know that we have been there often enough over the last 30+ years we know their menu by heart.

For Baked Potatoes it's got to be Baker Bros Deli, huge and full of stuff. I get the All American with sour cream, shredded cheddar, green onions, bacon bits (real), Randy gets the Chili Cheese Frito...the name covers the ingredients list. ;) A few years ago they forgot to put the Fritos on his and gave him not only fritos but a coupon for a free meal and two free huge chocolate chip cookies. Last week they ran out of cooked potatoes so we got two coupons for a free meal and upgraded our lunch to anything on the menu that day.

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  11. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni all those places sound yummy. You and your honey going back to the same place on your Anniversary is so sweet. We do the same thing. :stew1:

12. Christi Rodriguez

Christi Rodriguez New Seed

If got a chance I would like to go for the garlic bread with pizza.:)

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I cannot tell you how many awful meals I have had since tooty started this topic but Casa Del Rio is still around and still about the favorite for reliable food. if you have ever seen anybody jinxed at going out to eat I must be at the top of the list. everyone can order the same meal and I would still get something I wouldn't feed to company let alone my family.

14. mart

mart Strong Ash

I am with you there ! I have been into home made pizza lately ! Have to make more tomorrow !

Christi Rodriguez likes this.
  15. mart

mart Strong Ash

We have no little hole-in-the- wall family restaurants anymore! Just the same old fast food ! McD, BK ect ! So my favorite place to eat is at home ! I can sure cook better than they do !

marlingardener likes this.
  16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

we went out to eat last night for Kevins birthday. what another wasteful table of food. nasty cold mashed potatoes, only one baked sweet potato left after 4 of us ordered baked sweet potatoes, no salad available because of a recall. Really? only the romaine form Salinas Ca was recalled! the waitress came back to the table at least 4 times to figure out the order... oyvey my kale and brusselsprout salad? was sans brussel sprouts...