whats your favourite way to cook the humble potato?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by playtime8978, Mar 13, 2009.

1. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

I adore potatoes! I think my favourite way is a well cooked roast potato when its crisp and golden on the outside and fluffy and soft on the inside. Not the healthy option but so good, I must say though give me a baked potato ( oven only, no microwaves please) and I am very happy.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't think I can pick just one favorite way to cook potatoes.....if it is a potato then it is my favorite.
    Baked, sliced and fried, mashed, scalloped, au gratin, boiled and buttered, roasted with olive oil, salt and lemon pepper, cooked with a roast, in a stew, raw.
    It's a potato, what's not to like :-D

Oh, I forgot, potato soup and baked potato soup.

4. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Oh, my, that's a very difficult question to answer. I think I like baked potatoes best, but I also like them boiled, roasted, mashed, fried and deep fried. I don't like them raw, however.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Roast potatoes get my vote as a personal favourite. I don't do chips or fried potatoes but do like to indulge in roasties every now and again. We eat lots of baked potatoes here as you can put so many delicious toppings on them. :stew2:

Advertisement
  6. petunia

petunia Young Pine

potatoes. Hmm, almost every way possible has already been said. I can't say I have a favorite. I like it any way It comes. Though I haven't seen anything about the all time favorite 'potatoe chip'. All the differant kinds of chips they have out now days. I do like the 'pringle potatoe chip'.
    Baked potatoes with sour cream, mmm.
    French fries are good.
    Mashed potatoes with lotsa butter.
    ooo, and scallope potatoes, now theres one I haven't had in while.
    Potatoes--Gotta love 'em.

7. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I love all potatoes as well!
    But my fav is a baked potato in the microwave. I make several holes in the potato, place it in a microwavable dish with about a 1/2 cup water (or more depending on the size or number of potatoes cooking). As it cooks it absorbs some of the water and is soooo moist. Top it with lots of butta, sour cream, shredded cheese and then ...dig in. :D

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

All of the above! Oh yes, and Potato Pancakes are good too :D

9. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Loaded baked potatoes, Loaded potato skins, fried, fries, mashed....I love potatoes anyway you can cook them...and a good fresh potato raw with salt...YUMMY!

10. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Had scalloped tators for supper tonite.
    Tonites favorite.
    Yesterday it was mashed.
    Other times my favorite is fried with onions and salt an pepper.

Not wild of baked........

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

For me it depends upon what sort of potato I am going to cook--
    If it's a so-called "Gourmet" potato, then I prefer steaming them instead of boiling them (like rice, for instance).
    If it's an "ordinary" spud, then I boil them.
    Once in a great while if I have some really big ones, then I bake them, remove the potato from inside the skin and mix that with sour cream ans herbs...put it back in and apply a nob of butter then cover that with crushed bacon and pour melted cheese on top of it all.
    OMG, that's tasty! I don't do it often because it is just too rich. Rich but decadently delicious.

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Potatoes is one thing I'm not supposed to eat. By itself it is mostly okay but potatoes are usually loaded with toppings. I do eat baked potatoes and put grated cheese on the top. I like them sliced and baked in the oven, too. No chips though, too salty. Fries are too salty, too, unless we can order them with no seasoning. Then, they are just too much fat absorbed. Nothing is good for you anymore. Darn! dooley

13. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Potato says it all.I do not eat the skins but any other way is my favorite.A meal isn't a meal without them.

14. bethie

bethie Young Pine

My husband is Crazy for spuds. Unfortunatley I had to go on a low glucose diet over two years ago and a potato hasn't crossed my lips since then. :( Being healthy SUCKS! :D His favorite to eat is au grautin potatos which I make occasionally. He just did a big grouting job for me so I made some. He said what he ALWAYS say, "honey, these are the best ever." :-D I'm making potato pirogues tomorrow. It's a dough filled with cheesy garlic mashed potatos. It's boiled and drained then fried in butter until cripy brown, Mmmmm. It's time consuming but they freeze great and I will get a lot of milage out of them, if you know what I mean. ;)

15. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

I never met a potato that I didn't like. LOL I have cut back on them, and am trying to eat more sweet potatoes now for the fiber though. When my first husband and I moved into an apartment we used all of our grocery money except $5.00 to by a stove. We knew a farmer who sold 50 pound bags of potatoes for $5.00. We never got tired of eating potatoes. You can prepare them so many ways, but I had to get creative sometimes, (especially at the last.) I remember sprinkling poultry seasoning on them when I fried them towards the last. That was absolutely yummy!

16. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

It isnt a Meal here , with tators.
    Hubby would go beserk without. Farmers..