When Push Comes To Shove...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yesterday I had a number of things to do and they all involved going outside. With this period of extended whiteness I find myself procrastinating when it comes to doing things 'outdoors'. I mean, I do them it's just that I put it off until push comes to shove. It's scandalous, isn't it. :oops:
    It has been more than a week since I had been to the lottie, with all this snow and ice that we've been having, and my conscience was beginning to feel it.
    It wasn't a long list of gardening chores that needed doing, no. It was the birds. I had been feeding them regularly for the preceeding weeks and now, suddenly, I had not been for awhile. I felt as if I had left them in the lurch, so to speek. You just can't DO that.

Well, yesterday was the day when push had come to shove-- there was the Nieuwjaarsborrel (this is a get-together where one eats snacks and drinks alcohol) and there were the bird feeders. We could stop off by the m-i-l on the way as well.

The Nieuwjaarsborrel was to begin at 15:00 hours so that ment that I could go a bit early and refill the feeders, perhaps watch for a quarter of an hour and then walk up the the clubhouse and begin the festivities. The best-laid plans of mice and men.....

When turning onto the allotment complex, I had to get off the bike and walk, as the paths here were loaded with deep snow and had ice as a base underneith. By the time we reached the clubhouse we realised that we had not brought the key to our shed along :eek: ..so, no seeds. (:)-?)) What am I like!
    We went out of the complex and crossed the street to check-out the garden center. All their bird food was on sale, problem was-- they had no seeds left. That stuff must have gone like hotcakes. Good grief.

Back to the clubhouse then, I would drown my sorrow in cola and snacks.
    Here is what the ladies behind the bar kept bringing round.
    [​IMG]

I soon forgot my little mistake and emerged myself in gardening conversation with various folks that were present.
    There wasn't as many members present as usual. I guess the weather played a roll.

The get-together was over at 17:00 and so it was time to head back home and get ready for my best pal's birthday party.
    I'll tell you, I almost ate myself sick there--It began with tart (pie) and tea, then nuts of all sorts, toasties with all sorts of cheeze, dips and I don't know what all, potato chips...then there were the 'hot' snacks, like little sausages with mustard. By the end of the evening no one could eat another crumb (even me). ;)
    I must have consumed at least a gallon of cola. All that brown liquid CAN'T be good for one...come to think of it, neither can all the salt and those french and dutch cheeses.
    Sigh...I'm afraid it was a night of sin.
    We biked home in the spitting snow I felt like a huge beachball full of food instead of air balancing on the bike as I negociated the slick streets. I couldn't wait to fall into bed--I always sleep deeply and long after such feasting.

Then it was morning. :-o Yawnnnnnnnnnnnn.... rubbing my eyes with the middle knuckles of my forefingers, I looked down at the streets-- They were white again. :rolleyes: "Here we go again", I mumbled under my breath.
    "And good morning to you too, Mr. Friendly", chirped the cheerful bride.
    As I flopped down into the chair I wondered silently to myself, "She just got up a couple of minutes before me, how can she be so sparky already?"

She announced that she had no intention of leaving the house at all this day. She decided to do the ironing and then read the paper and then begin on her new book.
    I sat there blinking my eyes like a fish staring through a foot of ice in the dead of winter...trying to take it all in. I wondered if there had been a carbon monoxide leak on my side of the bed or something.
    "What are your plans", she inquired with the confidence of someone who was reading from the "Program of Life". --Do you know that saying? We have a saying here, "No one gets a program for the concert of life".
    So what I mean is, she was sounding comfortable and a bit smug-- having planned her day out already. :D

After the first sip of tea I felt my old self returning, filling my integumentary shell. I was beginning to see and even think now.

When we finished the tea we shifted venue to the kitchen where the bread and milk were making me stronger by the moment.
    We chatted about this and that as we consumed one slice of bread with covering after another.
    At one moment it fell silent and after a few seconds; as I was chewing, she tilted her head slightly and found eye contact--"So, what's it going to be for you today, mister?", Beaming broadly, expecting no answer.

I immediately announced that I would be going to the lottie. The smile faded instantly, leaving no trace...."In THIS weather? Are you MAD"!?
    She said that she had never imagined that I would do that.
    I said the the hunger of the birdies was eating at me.
    She cocked her head in the other direction this time and blinked, narrowing her blue eyes, no doubt wondering if I was making another weak pun.

Ok then... after brekkie was over and the ironing board was set up, I began the ritual of layering clothing until I looked like the Michelin Man.
    I gave her a peck and told her I'd see her later.
    "Be careful, brave man", I heard as I closed the door.

The lottie was really snowed-in good now and I had to walk my bike through shin-deep snow all the way to the end, where the lottie is.
    It was almost demoralizing to see one's garden looking like a great, lumpy, white quilt had been thrown over it. There were mounds and lumps where once plants, bushes, and veggies had been growing.
    Take a look at the patch of purple sprouting broccoli and leeks:
    [​IMG]

:eek: Oh my.

Over in the old lottie the other purple sprouting broccoli patch there was just as bad.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the immense weight of the wet snow. I tried to remove the snow but I couldn't. The snow was wet and VERY heavy, but the part of the snow that was actually touching the netting had frozen into the net in such a way that the net and ice were one.
    Some of the posts were leaning inwards under the weight.
    This will require some work in the spring.

Another disturbing thing was that I followed rabbit tracks all the way to my garden and saw that it had managed to get over and into the garden where the snow had drifted so high. :twisted: I was furious and I know that the beast will be back in the spring, as they do not forget. Tch!

The bird feeders-- they were all, without exception, empty...completely empty, as were the suet containers and coconut halves. Poor birds.
    I refilled them all and sat just inside the shed and watched the birds slowly come back and eat.
    I felt good and my feeling of guilt had faded. I could go home now feeling proud of myself, and happy for the birds...albeit a bit sorry that I had let push come to shove.

2. Loading...

3. gfreiherr

gfreiherr Young Pine

You do tell a very descriptive and amusing (maybe not to you) tale. It has been a long cold winter and it is not even mid January! Glad you were able to "push on" despite the conditions. Hopefully your garden will be too damaged by the heavy wet snow!
    That food does look very tastey...comfort food. Thanks for sharing :-D

4. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

Thank you for another great narrative. Guilt is a real
    motivator is it not? You were thinking of all your hungry bird friends just waiting. Hope you get a break from all that snow soon, bet it gets old after too long.

5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I so enjoyed reading your post Sjoerd but your poor lottie is certainly having a few problems isn't it? Trust the rabbits to find a way in and cause damage to your plants but I suppose even they are hungry with weather like yours. :-?
    I'm finding myself trudging through two feet of snow, four times a day, just to keep my birds fed. Now all I'm longing for is a slow thaw (we don't want flooding when all this snow melts) so that I can see some greenery again. I have bulbs that are sprouting in their paper bags and I can't get into the greenhouse to get them planted up in pots. :( There's no way I could even contemplate trying to plant them in the garden.
    Spring seems so far away. :'(

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Oh Sjoerd....what a tale! I'm sure the birds were grateful. My birds make me feel guilty too, and their feeders are never empty for more than an hour!

7. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Sjored I know all that good food and drink and visiting with good people was enjoyable.I'm glad you you made it back to the lottie to get the little birds fed.I hope that dang rabbit lets your tender veggies alone.

8. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

You're a good man, and I'm certain the birds will agree with me. :D The food looks delicious, I must say. It looks like the lottie complex could do with a couple of ski runners. All that snow and nobody there to play in it. *sigh*

9. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I always enjoy reading your naratives, they make me feel like I am there taking part in the adventure with you. Could have used a heavier coat while I was reading this one tho, I could almost feel the cold brrrr.

The plate of snacks looks scrumptious, if those are just snacks I would hate to see what a full meal looks like.

If you birds are like mine when I have let the feeders go empty, they were sitting in the trees tapping their little toes on the branch waiting not too patiently for you to get the job done. I have a couple of large Grackles that cause a big fuss to let me know I am falling down on the job.

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

another maaaaahhhvelous post sjoerd! and the pics also. you still have more snow than us!

all your wonderful adventures and posts would make a great book! :D

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

GFREIHERR-- Thanks for your nice comments and encouragement. :) Every little bit helps.
    --We just got another forecast of snow and freezing temps for the coming week. :?
    Pushing on is the only option isn't it.

I'm glad you liked the posting, 4-G. Tis snow truly is getting a bit old now. You are also right about guilt being a good motivator. :oops:

Thanks for the sympathy EILEEN--it sounds like you are having garden probs of your own caused by the heavy snowfall. Good luck, lass.

Thaks NETTY for your nice words. Birds are smart that way, aren't they?

Thank you GLENDA--I could literally see how much the birdies appreciated the seed replenishment. They must have been having it tough.

Hahaha DROOPPY--you maigh be right, had they not still been smarting from being ignored for more than a week, :D chuckle.
    That food was quite tastey indeed. Most people drank wine with their "tapas" and after a while the snow had been temporarily forgotten and everyone was jovial.

I am well chuffed that you liked the posting, TONI. Next time I must provide raps with the posting. ;)
    I an remember Grackels from when I was there. I find them such odd-acting and sounding birds. That way that they can approach eachother and stretch their necks, heads and bills upwards, whilst each bird looks at the other with one eye. Odd behavior.

Thanks BUNKIE-- That was a nice thing to say.
    I can't get over the fact that we have more snow than you guys. :eek:

12. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I enjoy your posts, too. My dialup is very slow to load pictures so I am always done reading the dialogue before I see them. Thanks for the posting.
    dooley

13. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I always enjoy reading your post as well. They always seem to be of full detail. It sure sounded as if there was plenty of snacks. They sure looked delicious sitting on that there plate. As for the birds I'm sure they were appreciative of the food that was given them.

14. wannabe

wannabe Young Pine

I enjoy your posts also. I have learned a lot from them though I don't grow many veggies anymore. wannabe

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks DOOLEY-- I am sorry that the dial-up service takes so long to downl;oad the images.

Thank you PETUNIA-- Indeed there was alot of food to nibble on at the party. It's an opportunity to chat while eating. My parents would have given me a little smack on the back of the head had they been present, saying something like, "We didn't raise you that way, boy". hahahaha :D

WANNABE--It is awfully nice of you to comment on the posting. I also read about things that I do not do myself--I just like learning.

16. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Great account of your activities sjoerd....I am so glad you got back to feed the birds. We go through that a lot with having to shovel a path to the bird feeding pergola in the back corner of our lot. Can I ask what the coconut is, a feeder of some sorts or do your birds eat coconut? I do know what a coconut is but have never heard of birds eating it..