When should I transplant my 2 year old Weigela?

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by 2ofus, Aug 30, 2014.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I have rarely transplanted shrubs but I need to move a couple of them this fall. Our first hard frost is generally in mid to late September. Then we will get a week or two of Indian summer then the cold starts setting in for good. I want to move a smaller 2 year old Weigela as taller plants are hiding it. I may also need to move a couple of potentilla shrubs. When should I do the transplanting? Now or after the first frost?

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

2. Loading...

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Well, I decided to wait until next spring since I would have had to move a large sedum that was starting to get blossoms.

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Probably a good idea although I would do it anytime except in the dead of Winter. As long as I could add water to the new hold. I have never had a move fail.

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

For the next time: I use two periods for transplanting...15 october - 10 november

and

15 march - 1 april.

My personal preference is the middle of oktober because then the plant has a long period to stabilize and let its root system begin to establish itself. From march is there less time and percentage-wise, less time to become fully established before the growing season begins.

When the plant get the internal signal to begin and to grow hard, and if it doesn't have the root system to keep up with this internal "urge", it is possible that the transplanting may fail or at the least the plant will stsy weakened throughout the summer.

I adhere to this preference solidly for bushes and trees, but I do quite a bit of transplanting of small blooming plants in march.

Other folks on here may well have other ideas and preferences, and hopefully they will contribute on this thread for you. It is always nice to have several ideas to choose from.

Good luck.

AbundantBlooms likes this.

Advertisement
  6. AbundantBlooms

AbundantBlooms New Seed

Weigelas are tough and do well transplanted in the fall. Many shrubs do. In fact, it's my favorite time of year to transplant and add new shrubs and trees. Many perennials too.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I probably would have transplanted it in the fall but I didn't want to loose the blossoms and maybe the entire sedum. I think it will be fine with spring transplanting as it will only get morning sun because of the shade from a large Spruce tree. It won't get full sun until late May or early June when the sun is high enough to clear the tree all day. I did transplant a Black lace leaf Elderberry early last week.

8. AbundantBlooms

AbundantBlooms New Seed

Oh! Instead of the weigelas you moved the elderberry into that spot? In a partially shaded area, the elderberry would do well. Weigelas love all day sun.

9. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

No, I just moved the elderberry over to give it move room as it grows quite large. I may have to enlarge one of my sunny beds to move the Weigelas so it gets more sun. It does get full sun from June until late August but maybe it needs more. That darn huge Fir tree does cause some problems with it's roots and the shade but I love it so it stays and I try to work around it.