When to empty a wildlife pond? Summer or autumn?

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by eileen, Feb 12, 2005.

1. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

..... is the best time to empty a wildlife pond? Summer or autumn?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Logan
      Replies:
      Views:

3. lily

lily New Seed

I did mine in August Eileen. Less disturbance for all the emerging things in Spring and early summer (frogs, newts etc) Also gives them a chance to settle down for winter. They weren't too keen on the temporary buckets but they've forgiven me now :D

4. eileen

Thanks Lily that's confirmed what I thought. Just needed a second opinion.

5. eileen

Ian has maked out the new pond already. As we don't have any activity in our two small ponds until about April here I'm letting him get on with it before his enthusiasm wanes. :D

I will, however, be retaining the contents of both of the ponds I have at the moment and adding them to the new, bigger one to give it a good start.

Here is a piccie of the marked out area - not quite how it will actually be but it gives us a rough size to work on for the butane liner we need to order. It's shape will be more of an 8 but fatter and sort of squished from the top. Not the best description but I'll post 'progress' piccies to let you all see how it's coming along.
    It will be approx 2 & 1/2 feet deep at the centre with planting shelves and 'exits' for any wildlife that find themselves wandering in to it by accident. Overall approx 6mtrs 30cms x 6mtrs.

This is just the beginning of a complete garden overhaul to improve our organic garden and to encourage even more wildlife.

[​IMG]

This is roughly 1/4 of the area of garden we have to tackle so it's going to be a loooooong job!! :rolleyes: