When to start planting lettuces or salad leaves?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Infullbloom, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Infullbloom

Infullbloom New Seed

Can someone tell me when its a good time to start planting lettuces or salad leaves? I want to grow my own salads this year like rocket etcetera...but don't know how long it takes them to get going?
    Thanks

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

When to plant depends on where you are. Here in zone 8a/b central Texas, we will be direct seeding lettuces in late February. Rocket (aka arugula) can withstand cooler soil temperatures and air temperatures than the other leaf lettuces and we can plant that two to three weeks earlier.
    Please tell us where you are and what lettuces you want to plant, and whether you are planting directly into the garden, or starting the lettuces indoors.
    Lettuce germinates pretty quickly, and grows to harvesting size (by picking the outer leaves of leaf lettuces, not cutting the entire plant) in 30 to 45 days, depending on the variety.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

If it gets any warmer here I may be seeding some next week.

5. Infullbloom

Infullbloom New Seed

Hi...well I'm in zone 7a dallas Texas...and i wasn't sure when to plant rocket and other greens...I'm becoming a vegan and don't want to spend all that money buying vegetables when I could grow them on my own...I plant to make beds this summer to grow themfiguring out how to sustain them throughout the year is going to be pretty hard.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Double check your zone on the USDA map....I am in north Dallas and am in zone 8a. The zone lines were changed a few years ago and we were changed to a warmer one. That will make a big difference in what you can grow down here.

7. Infullbloom

Infullbloom New Seed

Thanks Toni.:)

8. majorcatfish

majorcatfish New Seed

the summer months are hard to grow certain veggies, with some 30% shade cloth you should be able to grow them, best to start them indoors till they are well established then transplant them. direct seeding has not worked to well for me once it starts getting hot..

as for the wintertime some 6 mil clear plastic works wonders on all my beds...
    1/7/17 our 1st snow of the season. our lows for a couple days was in the single digits.
    DSC_0051.JPG 1/11/17 after the snow was gone uncovered everyone..
    DSC_0005.JPG
    1/17/17..
    DSC_0019.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    you being in texas this system should work very well...

hummerbum, Infullbloom and Frank like this.
  9. Infullbloom

Infullbloom New Seed

Your gardening system looks clean and neat. Nice job! I can't wait to get my own garden going. Thanks for the pics...really exciting!

hummerbum likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Here is a link to the Texas A&M spring and fall planting guide:
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/earthkind/ekgarden14.html
    I've found it helpful. If you take your weather into consideration (this winter has been warmer, so I'm planting earlier) the windows of opportunity suggested are pretty accurate.
    I've printed out the spring and the fall planting guides, and keep them in my gardening book.

11. majorcatfish

majorcatfish New Seed

there are a few drawbacks of winter gardening, the main one is once their gone thats it till spring..
    our bok chio has started to bolt... so going to pull them and save what we can.. looks like lots of soups,salads,stir frys....
    DSC_0017.JPG
    the bib and butter lettuce, are looking like they are not going to be heads ,just loose. but who knows might have to eat my words
    DSC_0018.JPG
    this is the first year covering the spinach..so for very impressed..
    DSC_0019.JPG
    so yes winter gardening has its rewards and disappointments...... wish you the very best on your next winter beds...

hummerbum likes this.
  12. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Wow..that's awesome major!!

My answer Infullbloom is year round hydroponically!!! Last year was full of trial and error..more trial and I'm officially hooked..especially for lettuces. Find you a spot in the basement or a spare room like I did and grow for it! Outdoors I can't tell you..but others on here did and will! Good luck!!

13. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Super impressive Majorcatfish! Excellent :) I have garden beds now and 2 of them I could potentially 'tent' for winter .... will have to think on it ;)

hummerbum likes this.