When will calla lilies sprout?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by iam4thevols, Apr 11, 2011.

1. iam4thevols

iam4thevols New Seed

I bought some calla lilies last year and transplanted into my flower bed. Due to the hot summer, they died down mid-summer. How long will it take for them to sprout this spring? If they don't live for 1 year, I can get my money back (nearly $100!) so I don't want to wait too long. I did dig up a couple of them, and the bulbs are still there, but they have no sign of a sprout. Thanks a bunch! :)

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

They need consistent temps above 45 at night and between 55-65 daytime, so every year when they show up in Spring will be a little different depending on when the temperature starts warming up sufficiently for them.

4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

One of my aunts has a bed full of them. And as of last weekend, they weren't showing signs of blooming. So I'd give them a few more weeks before starting to worry about them.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I bought some left overs from lowes at the end of last year and put them (still potted, but dormant) in my basement until I could move them out to the greenhouse in the spring. It took almost a month of growing temperature to see any growth on them, so just be patient. As soon as the ground is warm enough they will sprout again. I'm in zone 5 so I can't put them out as a perennial.