When's panic night? What's coming in?

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by purpleinopp, Sep 7, 2012.

?

Do you panic or remain calm?

1. I run around screaming, arms flailing!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It's no big deal, I don't even break a nail.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. My plants stay inside.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Panic night? First frost, it's the same thing every year, "Where are all of these pots going to go?" Frost is reasonable here after mid-Oct but hopefully will be more toward end of Nov, like last year.

Bringing in too many to list, anything not hardy, and tons of "annuals" cuttings. Lots of pics in this album:
    http://www.gardenstew.com/plantstew/alb ... r_id=16495

My biggest challenge is evicting ants from a lot of the pots, so it's actually like panic week, but there's always that night that's "really it." I always think I'm starting far enough ahead but it's always crazy at the end.

What do you do? When do you expect panic night? Is it really a panic or are you calm and organized?

Wonder how this poll thing works...?

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. LynnD

LynnD Seedling

I need to stop bringing in so many, I really don't have a place for them. My brugmansia must come in, and I chop off the cannas, elephant ears and banana tree to over winter them in a corner of the garage. My Rex Begonias and Aloe come in as houseplants as do my rosemary and bay leaf plants.

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really try not to have plants that can't take our winter...it's not much but sometimes we do have ice/snow .. Snow again in north Texas I'll take cuttings and collect seeds from some that are annuals...trailing Mex Petunia, Patchouli, Basil, Hyacinth Bean Vine, etc.

And the last few years, I have lost more plants from the heat and drought than I have ever lost from freezes. :rolleyes:

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I dread the frost warning because ALL the geraniums go into the garage at night and then back out in the morning! It's a workout!! After a while though I give up and save only my favorites :p

Advertisement
  5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I have several plants outdoors that will need to be brought in. I watch the weather forecasts, and plan ahead the time I need to treat them with a good bath and a systemic. It's like a ritual for me. Then I have to enlist Bob's help to haul them all in.
    The temps are starting to stabilize after a blistering hot summer, so I think I'll let them hang out awhile before it's moving time this year.

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Before it even gets close to time for a freeze, I move my more "timid" plants to a rack. When they predict freeze, I simply go out and put a tarp over it. My really special plants get moved indoors at the slightest mention of frost and they stay inside until there's no chance of frost.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We don't bring in plants--nothing in our ornamental gardens is killed by frost (but Toni, that drought and heat does get a few!). However, we have been out in a drenching rain while wearing waterproof ponchos and freezing parts of our anatomy, getting the last of the tomatoes harvested before it freezes.
    Usually we are on top of things, but occasionally Mother Nature fools us!

8. purpleinopp

Keeping a close eye on things, Monday night could be 1st frost here, still too early to tell... the forecast after looks so nice though. This is frustrating every year, always feels too early.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Well, after bragging about not bringing anything in, I now have six rooted rose cuttings sitting in the laundry room! It isn't the chill (we aren't going to get much lower than 45 tonight) it's the wind! I have them on a shelf in the barn and one had blown over. I replaced the lost dirt and brought them all inside for the duration.
    Somebody better do something about this wind, and do it fast! :twisted:

10. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our forecast is for mid-30's the next two nights :shrug: who would've guessed we would have temps that low, this early and after the summer we had??

I just went out and took cuttings of the Mexican Petunias, Creeping Charlie, Baby Sunrose, Basil and Patchouli. I need to go ahead and harvest the Basil for freezing in trays, then I think everything else will take care of itself.

11. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Ugh I have quite a few plants that never got put in the ground this summer, so theyll definitely have to come in. Thank goodness we have a sunroom where they can chill (haha) ;) I need to do that asap cause I have no idea when our freeze is supposed to come o.o

12. purpleinopp

Yeah, decisions to make today because of these 2 cold nights. It looks great after that, whine!