Where are the slugs when you need one?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 11, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I was looking over some garden news from the UK when I happen across an article that said it was illegal to spread coffee grounds around plants to deter garden slugs. Ugh??? I continued to read wondering if they had coffee ground bobbies patrolling back yard gardens for offenders. It seems that the EU powers to be found it easier to regulate the use of certain chemicals by stating what can be used as a pesticide as opposed to what can not be used. If you use coffee grounds as a pesticide in the UK and EU countries then you are breaking the law. However, you can use coffee grounds as a mulch. :) Hmmmm. Anyway back to why I need a slug. After reading the article I wanted to experiment with a slug and some coffee grounds. I chose a flat rock, spread the morning's coffee grounds in a circle and went hunting for a slug. I hunted in their usual daytime haunts.....no slugs. Darn!! It's too early for slugs. Mumble, mumble mumble..... Unless some enterprising Stewbie wants to experiment with an available slug and their morning coffee grounds, I will have to wait till the slugs hatch. Any volunteers?

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

Jerry

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I'm sorry Jerry, but I can't help. I'm in EEA and we usually implement all EU laws and directions.

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Jerry, I will be following your post with interest. Slugs are the bane on my garden's existence.

Every morning I dump our coffee grounds out the back door in a garden bed. But only as a mulch, of course!

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Sorry, I just killed a handful of slugs that thought they could make a meal of my seedling coleus :scheming: Ah well, at least they had a nice drink of beer before they went :twisted:

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hmmm, Jerry, We already have a nice selection of slugs starting. The strawberries in the hightunnel are just starting to ripen...and the slugs have already found their way in there...imagine that! You want me to send you a few? slugs, not strawberries.

7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Ooooooh slugs :) I don't think the USPS allows transport of live slugs. But thank you for the offer. I was thinking more on the lines of after morning coffee to circle the slug with the coffee grounds and watch. I will watch for hatching slugs. Interesting, I don't usually get excited about slugs. I'm surprised no one has mentioned slugs and coffee grounds before.

Jerry