Which kitchen pulls?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by Ronni, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

My kitchen cabinets are pickled pine. I like the finish, but the drawer and door pulls are very mundane, so I've been shopping around for something to replace them with. This is what the cabinet doors look like now, with those boring cream pulls.

[​IMG]

I've slowly been replacing things in the house that were original to the house and were just boring or dull. I like contrasts, and warm colors and tones, so for the kitchen I've been replacing the cheap crappy light fixtures with bronze toned ones, in interesting or different styles.

The light over the sink (they were originally can lights, but you couldn't bend them down over the sink. You could either direct them to straight up, or sort of down, but at an angle such that the light shined directly in my eyes! )
    [​IMG]

And the chandelier in the eat-in part of the kitchen.
    [​IMG]

In both cases, the metal on those lights looks almost black. It's not, it's a warm, deep bronze color. And also my walls are a soft yellow, not the off white that it looks like. ;)

I found some pulls I really like, online, on sale for 99c each. They're in the bronze color that I've been looking for, to continue the bronze theme I started with the lights. I have 23 pulls to replace, so that's a really good price, especially compared to some I found, at $3 - $5 a pull. I did find some 25 lot deals, but I just didn't like them.

Here's the link to the site, and then a picture of the knob itself.
    http://www.knobdeals.com/product/8409/1 ... ded-bronze

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Ronni's Garden )

OK, so here's my dilemma. I just realized that the hardware on the kitchen cabinets is gold. It's quite visible (though honestly, if you'd asked me, before I got so up close and personal with my kitchen cabinets, what color they were or even if they were visible, I wouldn't have had a clue!!)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I figure the cream knobs don't match the gold either, so the bronze ones shouldn't be a problem….but then I wonder. I'm a very visual person so it's really hard to get a sense of what the cabinets are going to look like with the bronze knobs and gold hardware. I don't want gold knobs! :( But it's the only color I can think to replace them with so that they match the cabinet hinges, unless I find something in a cream, but I don't like the cream which is the whole reason I want to replace the existing knobs anyway. And I really like those bronze ones I found!

What do I do? :smt100

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The knobs in the photo have enough gold highlights in them to coordinate perfectly with the hinges. If you like the knobs go for it, your family is going to like them because you do and the opinion of anyone else who visits your kitchen really doesn't matter!!!!!

Frank likes this.
  4. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I'd get the knobs (which I really like). And if the hinges bother you at some point.... replace them. But why go through the work and expense if you don't need to?

5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b

Advertisement
  6. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I like the knobs you picked. I think they would be fine even with the hinges. Go for it!!
    I replaced all the knobs on my bathroom cabinets, and was amazed at what a difference this small change made!

7. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have never heard of matching the knobs to the hinges. The ones you picked sure look better than what is on them now.

8. toni

'Matching' isn't all that important as you would think because it is sometimes almost impossible to 'match' colors especially from different manufacturers....go for coordinates or contrasts. Looking at decorating that way opens up a lot more potential than the word 'match' does.

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK, so y'all are probably going to think I've lost my mind, but I found some completely different knobs, fell in love, and ordered them!!!

I have a yellow kitchen. Well, it's not ENTIRELY yellow, but that's the theme. There are yellow touches everywhere. I'll go take some pictures in a minute so you can get the idea. Anyway, I found these knobs, and the yellow is just the perfect compliment to the colors in the kitchen, and the added benefit is that they won't look out of place with the gold cabinet hardware.

I know they're ridiculous and not at all classy. But I was SO excited about them when I found them, compared to being very matter of fact about the other ones, that I decided "why not?" It's $25.00 that I'm willing to waste if, after living with them for a while, I decide I was being a complete idiot and want to replace them with something more "normal."

So they're on the way. I'll post pictures when I install them! :stew2:

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Here, here are some glimpses of my kitchen so you'll see why I think they match so well. I may be crazy, but I'd prefer that to boring! ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Those are cute... kind of a "country-feel" to them. And will look great with all your other yellow.

12. toni

Yellow it is then!! Bet you are going to feel really good about them when they are all installed.

13. mart

mart Strong Ash

Well,, after seeing more of your kitchen,,I agree. Its sort of 1950`s cottage look. Love it!

14. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I hesitated to comment on the first choice of pulls which were attractive, but going to be a bit difficult to keep clean. (What, you wash your sticky hands before you open the cabinet to get another mixing bowl?)
    These are very pretty, and will be so much easier to wipe off and keep clean.
    Please post a photo when you get them installed. I bet they perk up an already perky kitchen something fierce!

15. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Good for you Ronni! You know what you like when you see it. I think the yellow accent will look pretty with your decor. I'll look forward to seeing them when you get them put on.

16. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thanks all.

I'm well aware that this isn't necessarily a popular choice. I have a couple of in real life friends who weren't hesitant to question my mental state when I shared my choice with them lol! :D

They mentioned resale value of the house, and the knobs not being very mainstream and/or traditional etc. Well, the house is paid for and I have no plans to leave it till I'm carried out, so that's not my focus! I have cosmetic plans for other parts of the house too, that wouldn't necessarily be a realtor's choice if he/she were getting the house ready for sale. But I don't have that mindset, Lee and I view this house as our forever home with no plans whatever to move on, so why shouldn't I indulge my taste for the whimsical, UN-traditional, goofy stuff?

Yeah, I thought of that. It wouldn't have stopped me if I'd really decided these were the ones, but it was a consideration. I rejected another style that I loved for just that reason. They were an intricate filigreed sort of pattern, that I'd have had to go at with a toothpick pretty much any time I touched them with anything other than pristine hands. And don't even get me started on what my grandkids do to my lower cabinets!! Everything in the lower kitchen cabinets are kid friendly, so the young grandkids often use what's in them as just more toys, meaning the pulls get a lot of sticky hands on them…..kids are NOT known for wiping the PB&J off their little hands before touching anything else! ;)

Thanks, I'll definitely be sharing the new look when they arrive and I get them put on. I like my perky kitchen and I'm always on the lookout for things to perk it up even more. These knobs will definitely contribute to that!