White bell shaped flowers with mild streaks of purple

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by TrailLeadr, Jun 14, 2007.

1. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Seed

I'm not sure that title did justice here.

On one side of my house there is a small 3 foot wide path that runs the length of the house. Unfortunately it often times gets neglected when I do yard work. This is because we have dogs, and this area is fenced off, and difficult to access.

Anyway, the short of this is a couple years ago, I was back there cleaning up the weeds that had gotten unruly, when I ran across this weed that had been left alone for so long it had grown into a small tree. :eek:

I kept meaning to take pictures, and see if anyone could identify it.

Today, I finally got some pictures. This thing is huge now. (picket fence in pic is 6 foot tall) I would have cut it down before, but it flowers, and they're kind of pretty.
    The broad leaves make the plant unappealing, but the flowers almost make up for it.

I have some pics that I'd rather not resize, so I'll place links to their location. I have one cropped out of an original that I will post here. I can take a straight on pic of the leaves if anyone thinks that would help.

Thanks in advance :-D

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

That looks like a Catawba tree to me.(also called Catalpa an Indian name from the Catawba Indians)If it is it will have long bean pods green to brown in color after about 7 years.A very beautiful tree.It is a gorgeous tree when in bloom It will get really tall.It has bell shape blooms with purple specks inside and maybe yellow ones in some areas.

4. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Seed

Thanks for the quick response. I looked up some other pics of that kind of tree, and I think you're right.

Strange thing is there are no others of this kind of plant/tree around my neighborhood. Makes me wonder how it got there.

So far it's over 10 feet tall, but not very full. My wife and I both like it's flowers, and it seems a shame that it's trapped into the area it's in. I wonder if it would be worth it to try and move it to a more open part of my yard so it can grow better. I'd hate to kill it by moving it though.

Anyone know if these are particularly hearty, and can handle a move, provided I don't hurt the root system too much while digging it up.

5. glendann

They are hardy but seems to like to grow in small areas my mom tried her best to move one to the front that came up from seeds but they would die.I have one at moms old home and they live a long life.I am 64 years old (almost) and its older than me.Most people encourage the Catalpa worms as they or great fishing worms and will sell a a fishing camp for at least a $1.00 a worm.They say great Cat fish bait.Its hard to get them .We had them one time and they will strip the leaves and they go back to the ground at night .Mother and I used liquid seven after they went to the ground a they never came back my dad had a fit when he found out what we did.
    I myself would not attempt to move it as I would fear it would die.

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Catalpa trees will grow really large and when all the white flowers fall off the ground looks like it is covered in snowballs from a distance. They make wonderful shade trees.
    Since it is now blooming, pay close attention to whether anyone in your family starts showing signs of allergies. It is almost as bad as ragweed for some people.

7. glendann

It never has bothered my allergies.It has other people in my family.They do make wonderful shades.

8. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Seed

Thankfully we're a no allergy family. Hope it stays that way.

That's kind of disappointing to hear that these trees enjoy confined spaces. I was hoping to bring it out into the open area behind our house, and allow it to fill in, and grow into a great shade tree. Right now, it's not very full. When you look at it as a whole, it likes like a gangly teenager.
    Waaay tall, and too thin.

Thanks again for your responses. you all have been super-helpful. I will gladly post a link to here in the forum that I moderate. :D :D

9. glendann

You might call a tree farm or nursery ana ask the best way to move it to not harm it Its tap root is probably way deep by now.

10. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr New Seed

That's a good idea. I will do that. Thanks again. :-D