White brush, Texas native

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by marlingardener, Sep 10, 2015.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We were lucky enough to find a White brush at a native nursery. We planted it, and it thrived and sent off babies. We now have two, and hopes of more.
    White brush (aloysia gratissima) is also known as bee-brush, so you know why we want more of it!
    White brush.jpg
    It blooms after a rain, or even a small shower. Ours is in a front flower bed, and the baby will be moved to a back yard bed in the fall.
    One of the best things is it smells of vanilla when in bloom!

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

OO I'll bet it would adore our weather here in Scotland. It would be blooming most of the year as we get so much rain. What a lovely plant Jane and, as you know, white flowers are a favourite of mine. Having the scent of vanilla wafting around the garden attracting bees and looking so good makes me wish we had them here.

4. mart

mart Strong Ash

Is that related to our Privet Hedge ? Privet also smells sweetly similar but blooms only once a year and bees love it too. The leaves look similar to Privet. Only bad thing is Privet is invasive. Years ago they used it as fencing. We have it everywhere. Have to keep cutting and salting the new ones.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mart, it isn't related to privet--the leaves look almost like mesquite or mimosa. This isn't the best photo, but you can see the leaves. White brush leaves.jpg
    We've just let it grow, although I've read that if trimmed, it gets bushier. I like the "free form" shape of ours.

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Too bad it gets big, I'd love to have a white flowering shrub...especially a pretty one like this!