White, gardenia(?) like flower, no scent, started flowering about 2 weeks ago in New Zealand

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Issy, Mar 31, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Issy

Issy New Seed

Hey all! This mystery plant was fallen on a long time ago and thus, has never flowered until about 2 weeks ago. I've done a lot of research and can't seem to figure it out - I think it's one of the many sub-species under the Tabernaemontana genus or a rhododendron-esque sort of plant? It's in a pot and has a bush-like/shrubby sort of shape.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - this plant holds a lot of sentimental value and I'd love to be able to look after it properly. Thanks!

[​IMG]

Jewell likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

this is not a gardenia flower by any stretch. but I have never seen this before.
    but, is the flower waxy or soft and tender?
    the foliage a rosette or a branching plant?
    does it grow in the shade or full sun?
    its a beautiful flower and I hope someone can help...
    I haven't seen purpleinop for a while but hopefully she is well and able to pop in sometime and take a looksee. maybe she knows. her knowledge is vast for a more tropical type flower.

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Very pretty. You are definitely doing everything right to get such an abundance of flowers.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

this is known as a pinwheel flower and yours doesn't look like a "pinwheel" flower. very similar but it doesn't have the swirl associated with the others I am seeing.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The flower looks like it was cut from one piece of fabric.....just saying there are no individual petals like most flowers.

Jewell likes this.