Who has trouble with moles+ voles ???

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by koszta kid, Apr 11, 2013.

1. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

We had fought them for years. Moles do the digging---voles use their tunnels -eat Bulbs. Last batch I planted in cages.But lady at Iowa state Ext Office. Said either spray whole place for grubs. Or use Worms +talpirid .Might be winning battle.

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Last summer was the worst I've ever had :-x Those little suckers drove me nuts!!! Sadly the darn cats weren't much help :-| I've noticed a few things in weird spots...I have a daffodil popping up right smack in the middle of an old peony :eek: I'm thinking one of those critters moved it there :shrug: I hope they leave me alone this summer. :rolleyes:

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Stratsmom we also have a big vole problem. I to hate to little suckers. They destroyed almost all of our melons by eating them for two years in a row. :-x They also chewed on our cucumbers. :scheming:
    I guess we should try and apply a grub killer from Gardens Alive. I believe that nematodes will work to get rid of the grubs. :rolleyes: I will have to check that out so see if I have my info right.
    Koszta I never heard of those worms you mentioned. I will also have to check into that. But I hate those little critters a lot.

5. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Must be a run on the worm killer Out of them at hardware store.Seen more then 1 person walking around with Rented lawn roller. Or stomping their tunnels.Sandy our yellow lab-dug up another one. And bring it to me.

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Milky Spore powder. Expensive to start. Lasts for years. Kills grubs. No more moles. JR Terrier, no more voles. :D

carolyn and Cayuga Morning like this.
  7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

They are the larvae of June Bugs or Japanese Beetles. I can't tell the difference but they are all lumped into the same pot for the treatments. What works on one will work on the other.

8. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Had not had trouble with moles and voles for years. Think flooding in 08 drowned many.No voles in veggy area.Right next to it-compost pile. Has ball of bull snakes.They take care of voles for me

9. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

I hate those little critters. I will have to get some milky spore. I believe it only works on the bad lawn grubs. But I could be wrong. I guess how would it know one grub from the other.
    With all the voles we have around our house you would think that pine snakes would move in to eat them. :stew1:

10. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

The reason I didn't use the milky spore. Was told killed all the worms-Earth worm -we use tofish with.+ robins eat them. Got many in yard right now.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

KK, I think the milky spore only targets the grubs, not any earthworms, BUT the earthworms and grubs are what the voles and moles are looking to eat. Skunks do a fine job of grub control, too.

12. koszta kid

koszta kid Young Pine

Should just sit out with Sandy our 95# yellow lab.But filling in her hole after she see moles digging. Dirt just flys.