Who needs hummers when you have hungry bees

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by toni, Sep 15, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

A couple of weeks ago I saw an actual hummingbird in the front yard. This is a treat since we have lived here over 24 years and it was the first one. So I put out a feeder. Nothing. I bought two small feeders and put them out yesterday. Nothing.

I looked out front a few minutes ago and saw that one of the feeders was half empty but it wasn't hummers feasting...

[​IMG]
    Feasting bees ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Since there have been no flowers for the poor bees to feast on I will keep the feeders filled for the bees.

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good for you!!! all the girls thank you!

4. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Toni are those honey bee's? If so that is great to see so many of them seeing that they are on the decline. They look like they are pretty desperate for some food. I know we always think about the animals that are being affected by things like drought. But the insects are probably more effected because of their small size.
    I am sure you will get even more bees as the word spreads that they have found food.
    This time of year here in Wis. our hummers have to watch out for wasps trying to feed out of my hummer feeders. The hummers avoid them and won't come to the feeders if the wasps are there. :stew1:

5. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I would think with all the heat that the bees would be down right tuckered out keeping the hive cool. No flowers, wow, double whammy for the bees. No wonder you have a popular feeder.

Jerry

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Super...super....super! I am so glad to see that.
    I have to say, I have never heard of bees coming to a feeder before. I wonder if they would here as well.

This is great to see, Toni.

7. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Toni that's amazing,..clever bees as well,.i never spotted them do that before,..you might still get an appearance of a Hummingbird on your feeder.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

We had several feeders when we lived in Arizona. Somehow the hummingbirds and the bees decided which ones belonged to them and didn't seem to trespass on each other. There are screens you can buy if you don't want bees. I just provided more feeders.
    I think they need the moisture as much as the feed.
    dooley

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

As Jerry said, "keeping the hive cool" They do need a lot of water to do that. Go ahead and put out a shallow dish of plain water for them, also. Add a few rocks just in case they fall in and can't get back out, that way they will have something to climb out onto and dry off. They wont "thank you", but won't have to go so far to find it, if the hive is close by you. sometimes they will travel up to 3 miles to find food/water source.

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Carolyn--do you think that bees would be more likely to use a water source in the sun or in the shade?

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have rocks in both the bird baths so the wasps, bees and butterflies can safely get a drink. So far this summer, the wasps have been there most often.

12. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I'm not sure there is any or much difference to the bees, although I see them back at the stream,( which is very shallow and filled with shale), in the shade more than out in the direct sun. the water would, also, not evaporate as quickly in the shade. it also could be the temperature of the water that makes the difference. I really have never gave it that much thought. we have running water almost year round behind our house, except for when it's frozen solid, So I don't put the water out much for them.

13. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Glad somebody is getting use out of your Hummingbird feeder. Hopefully the hummers can find some food too.