Who uses shrimp or crab meal against nematodes?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by Dirtmechanic, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I have the ongoing battle against nema. They were all over my cucumber roots and I treated for them at the spring tilling. So does anybody subscribe to the idea of using chitin heavy amendments to attract chitin eaters whereby they eat the nematodes that have the chitin exoskeleton\covering like a dirtbound shrimp?

2. Loading...

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

This is interesting and I am having trouble with them too!!! I heard that neem helps in controlling too but had not tried it because neem oil is so expansive in this part of the world!

4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I understand that trying to kill the egg is a waste of time. Rather catching them in the transition of their 3 stages with chemistry or outright killing them with predators is possible perhaps.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

DM, how do you know if you have nematodes? And aren't there good nematodes and bad ones?

6. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Southern RKN drills into the roots causing such scar tissue that fluids cannot flow upward to plant. They are visually obvious nodules in masses when you pull the roots at the end of production. Yes like other insects there are some good ones. They are small like bacteria and impossible to see.