Why is Amaryllis not blooming?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by AAnightowl, Jun 18, 2015.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have some amaryllis plants in the same pot. I started them from seeds several years ago. They were given in a seed swap back on Garden Talk, and the three seeds have all grown and made babies. None have bloomed yet, even though they are is over 5 years old. I was thinking that maybe the should be re-potted and divided? The website about growing them from seed says they usually bloom in three to five years. They are in a sunny south window. I no longer have that link. They are nice and healthy otherwise.

Moderator's note: added a more descriptive title to topic

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would separate and re-pot them then stick them outside where they can get morning sun. I had one in a pot out front in full afternoon sun all year round and every spring it had blooms.
    Just like other bulb plants, the leaves absorb light from the sun, turning it into energy that the bulb needs in order to bloom.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I could put them on my front porch, that faces east. In the winter, the only option is my bedroom with windows in all 4 directions. My back porch gets sunlight most of the day.

The babies are not necessarily old enough to bloom yet. But three of those bulbs should be old enough to bloom by now. Thanks. I have never grown them before, and most people who have them force them to bloom in winter.