Wild Australian Bunny

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by FloraPie, Jan 18, 2017.

1. FloraPie

FloraPie New Seed

These little fellows are very common and oh so cute. This view is from my back door. They don't eat any of my produce and just like the kangaroos, I've only ever seen them eating grasses. Not very much liked or appreciated by many but then I don't hear of anyone trapping them for food or fur either.

Attached Files:

2ofus, Sjoerd and Frank like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

He is cute! We have rabbits, too. Our seasonal garden where we plant all the rabbit delicacies (peas, green beans, lettuces, etc.) is fenced because of those cute little cottontails. They ate my peanut crop one year--not the peanuts, just all the leaves right down to the ground!

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have plenty of wild rabbits here too. Many think of them as pests but our foxes keep their numbers under control.

5. FloraPie

FloraPie New Seed

@ marlingardener Oh no, your poor peanuts! And what do you do now to keep them out? Bigger and stronger fences? Do you use any garlic and pepper combination to help keep the rabbits at bay? I've heard that a garlic and pepper mix can work but I guess it's all up to how hungry the rabbits are and how many of them there are, in the first place.

@ Eileen Yes our foxes keep eating them also.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Flora, I tried garlic/pepper spray and the rabbits seemed to think it was a condiment. We have a 3 foot tall chicken wire fence, with 1 foot buried all around, and that seems to be keeping our little furry friends out of the garden. They don't go after the bigger crops (squash, corn, tomatoes, peppers, etc.) so those go into the unfenced big vegetable gardens. If our coyotes weren't so lazy we might have fewer rabbits!

7. FloraPie

FloraPie New Seed

Condiments, oh wow. Well, sounds as though you have it sorted with chook wire. What the heck would the world do without that stuff eh o_O When I first arrived at this place I brought with me a heap of it thinking that I would absolutely need it. Thinking that rabbits ate everything. But now I've learned that only certain crops are at risk from them and that the best defense is wire, and not garlic! Thank you.

marlingardener likes this.
  8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Where I live we're on the verge of a rabbit infestation. My own personal area/yard is not 'yet' being decimated but they are become a real problem in my area. You can hardly walk out without seeing them everywhere and they do seem to be multiplying like rabbits! :)