Will praying mantis eat earwigs?

Discussion in 'Plant Pests, Diseases and Weeds' started by fish_4_all, Apr 13, 2010.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Does anyone know if praying mantis will eat them? I hate those little buggers. I have already squashed more than 50 of them and they are the biggest pest here. I have raised praying mantis before so I am really thinking about getting an egg case and putting them in my greenhouse thing when it warms up enough so they can eat their fill. When doen in there hopefully they will stic aorund and eat the other bugs I hate. Only drawback is they will also eat the good ones.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I should think that if any of your earwigs came into contact with a mantid they would get eaten. I know that Preying Mantids feed, primarily, on other insects such as Crickets, Beetles, Moths, Fruit flies and Bees. However, it's not uncommon for larger mantids to include small reptiles, birds and even small mammals in their diet.

4. vovo12

vovo12 New Seed

eillin that is wrong praying manti will eat anything they come in contact with even other manti even hummingbird

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I haven't seen a mantis in my yard in years but I do have earwigs. Where do you get the egg cases?

vovo, Eileen is saying that they will eat anything. Those were just examples of what they eat.

Advertisement
  6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Toni, I got mine at the lawn and garden center here in town in April/May I think. They have them every year. It is the Carolina Mantis that is legal to simply put out here. Native to the states and should be legal down there. If you can't find any let me know and I will try to get one here for you.

7. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now that I think about it, I think I remember seeing some at Calloway's last year. Time to go shopping ;)