Will the real creeping thyme please stand up!

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by aseedisapromise, Mar 11, 2015.

1. aseedisapromise

aseedisapromise New Seed

I'm going through pictures, and I have several kinds of creeping thyme. One is from a seed package listed as "thymus serpyllum". It is creeping, but taller than the others, about 6 cm. It has light pink flowers about like Thymus vulgaris in color. One I got as a division from a friend who doesn't keep track of names, and it is bright pink and much shorter>2 cm. The other was on the property when I bought it and is pretty obviously woolly thyme. So my question is: Is Thymus serpyllum a separate plant from Thymus praecox? The two plants that I have seem pretty different, one being looser in habit and taller, and one having smaller, darker leaves with shorter internodes. The photo has the two kinds next to each other, The taller one (top center) blooms much later than the dk pink one. Thanks!

AllwoodsThymesmaller.jpg

Alexis Kandrella likes this.
  2. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

3. aseedisapromise

aseedisapromise New Seed

Thanks, Toni. The tall plant on the right is Dianthus x Allwoodii. I know that one. I guess I should have cropped that out. I am wondering about the creeping thyme at the top center that is not blooming (yellow circle), and the creeping thyme below it that is pink and just starting to bloom (turquoise circle).

AllwoodsThymemarked.jpg